Unwanted PM

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

rudd

Unwanted PM

Post by rudd »

I just got a PM from someone going by "Croga" that looked like it was mass distributed to many members on this board. This "Croga" has -0- posts, and was trying to get me to join a some new CNC board. made me think of someone else that used to pull the same sort of horse-hockey both here and PM.
Harold, I have some size 11 cowboy boots if you'd like to borrow them..... but then you might have an old pair of steel toes hanging around. Either way.
Steggy

Re: Unwanted PM

Post by Steggy »

rudd wrote:I just got a PM from someone going by "Croga" that looked like it was mass distributed to many members on this board. This "Croga" has -0- posts, and was trying to get me to join a some new CNC board. made me think of someone else that used to pull the same sort of horse-hockey both here and PM.
Harold, I have some size 11 cowboy boots if you'd like to borrow them..... but then you might have an old pair of steel toes hanging around. Either way.
I received it as well and deleted it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

I received as well. Now in digital "round file" next to digital desk with the other crap.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

One from Croga and one from Superberky1204, both weird.
Ernie F.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Can't delete them on the IPhone.
Ernie F.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I got one as well. I took a look at their site, nothing compares with ours. So ya, not interested either!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Looks like the spamed half the board.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
housedad

Post by housedad »

Me too. The admins aren't gonna like it.
Chief bottle washer.
It's a tricky job when all you have is a garden hose, a Bridgeport, and a plasma cutter.

Bridgeport Series II Special. QC30 spindle
Enco 12 x 36 lathe
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've seen it several times. It happens in various forms every time someone gets it in their head that their needs to be another new forum run to their specifications. Often times it's a reasonably knowledgeable but stuck on their own importance member who eventually gets the boot. Other times it's someone with a very real interest that feels things just aren't getting the attention they would like, either relegated to a secondary or tertiary forum not central to the existing mainstream site's focus (something like welding here), or somehow hampered by rules/admin of existing sites. A (internet) friend of mine did that on a significant site I mod for when he wanted a more fabrication focused off-road site rather than an off road oriented site that had a lot of fabrication content. He did it in a way I would consider the right way by letting key people know and inviting them to join, then spread by word of mouth, not like this. And he did ok with it. But mostly it happens like this. Hit-n-run posts that attempt to siphon off members, PMs, emails, whatever. Usually they fade away, or degenerate (if they ever get big enough to be considered degenerated) and become mostly one guys playground. I think this must be at least the 4th CNC focused spin-off attempt I've seen in the last few years. In my limited experience, the ones that use these tactics to generate members and interest usually don't do too well.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I received it as well, as it's not easy to see that I'm on the administrative side of the board if you're not paying attention. My name appears no differently from others in that regard. Also got a phone call, voicing his contempt, from Patio.

I know what I'd do with this guy, and I have the ability---but I'm not the board administrator, so I've sent Marty notice to see how he wants to handle it. Deleting his registration is the thing to do, at least in my opinion. That's not something that's done often on this board.

It's not that folks aren't welcome to notify others of what they're doing. We welcome that, but not by being devious, and not by blowing smoke up the skirts of readers. The list of recipients includes names who have not been on the board in years. He made no attempt to sort those who have knowledge from those who don't----he lumped them all together. Sort of a "flock shot". :lol: :lol:

Wish I could fit in those size 11 boots, though. I wear a size 12, and kick like an army mule.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dirtcrasher1

Post by dirtcrasher1 »

Wow, isn't there an "ignore list" or a way to ban people by IP address.

The shouldn't be allowed to sell until they have 25 posts or something......
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dirtcrasher1 wrote:Wow, isn't there an "ignore list" or a way to ban people by IP address.
we have more than one way to ban on this board, and we ban when it's deemed necessary. In this case, that's exactly what happened. The real issue is one of not doing anything to a reader who doesn't deserve the punishment. Some folks make mistakes and are quick to make amends. It would be less than satisfactory for us to punish such an individual.
The shouldn't be allowed to sell until they have 25 posts or something......
We've been quite fortunate on this board to not have had much trouble, although we are not trouble free. Most of the readers, here, are well mannered and are here for the right reasons. However, if anyone does present a deal that isn't as it should be, readers should notify administration immediately, so we can take preventive measures.

In regards to a requirement for a given number of posts prior to one soliciting, that may or may not be a solution, as I am of the opinion that if a criminal mind is hell bent on committing a criminal act, he's going to get it done, regardless of hurdles placed in his path. That's pretty much why some folks get burglarized, isn't it? They lock their doors, but criminals are known to break windows.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.