UPS Cost

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

Re: UPS Cost

Post by SteveM »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I think it's just like a tax.....once it's there.....it's there forever.
Ronald Reagan once said that the closest thing to immortality was a government program.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mikeehlert wrote:Heck yes. It's just like the airlines, low fare to book the business then make it up on fees.
Well, I almost agree with you, but I'm struggling to see where the "low fares" come in.
I'm old enough to remember when UPS first got started in the greater Salt Lake City area. A guy could ship a small package for about $2.

Of course, you could also buy gasoline for around 22¢/gallon, and $3.00/hr was considered a good wage. Speaks volumes about the loss of buying power of the dollar.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

f350ca wrote:For the getcha factor, have a parcel shipped to Canada UPS. Minimum $50 brokerage fees, no matter how cheap the package is. USPS and it might be $5 if anything.

Greg
I refuse to deal with vendors that will not ship USPS for that very reason.

In my ebay searches I sort the results by lowest price including shipping. I have found that to be satisfactory.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I live close to the border so I can use a Package Express store. I find the "Will only ship to billing address." and only use UPS very annoying. Grizzly parts come to mind. I bought some tool blocks from CDCO. I think it was $20 shipping for using a flat rate box.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
dirtcrasher1

Post by dirtcrasher1 »

I recently sold a nice aluminum bicycle frame for 80$ shipping included. I showed up at FedEx and it was foamed on sharp edges and shrink wrapped very well; 4 lbs. total. Cost me 55$ to ship.

I had an account but CC wasn't updated, lost 10%. Wasn't in a box, another 10%. I would have kept it to practice aluminum TIG welding!!

I'm an idiot, I gave it away. I don't even want to discuss the 32 Ford parts dad asked me to sell. Hood, trunk, doors, window frames etc etc. I was trying to make him some money and I lost big time : (