Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

Post by SteveHGraham »

OK, time to vent.

I joined an electronics forum because I wanted to get quick answers to questions once in a while. I put up a question, and immediately, the little twerps started insulting me and trying to get me to argue with them. The first one to call me stupid was a moderator! I told them I had gotten my answer, but they went on spewing without me.

Is it just me or are engineers, especially young ones, generally insufferable? I put in years studying with mathematicians, engineers, and physicists, and I found that engineers were generally borderline sociopaths, physicists were somewhat better yet highly likely to be disturbed, and mathematicians were the friendliest of the bunch.

I'm not even arguing with these little freaks or engaging them. I type things like, "Okay, thanks," figuring they will eventually shut up, but it's like they have absolutely nothing else to do. They're self-fueling.

I am really getting sick of Internet forums. It's like they're populated by people who don't quite have the nerve to follow their hearts and become serial killers.
Attachments
dick-from-the-internet-1024x532.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Re: Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The most obnoxious? No, not at all.
That group is known as...... 'lawyers'.

For further reference for you to understand engineers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw

http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/engineerhumor.html

:lol:

Pick a group. You'll find good ones, and bad ones, all part of the mix.
Some machining forums out there, as well as other types, are quite unfriendly too...

Or am I confused, and you're talkin' about the engineers that drive trains??

:wink:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Lawyers aren't rude at all. That's TV BS. Lay people fall for it because they learn everything from the boob tube. Lawyers make a living persuading people and making contacts, so they tend to be very socially adept. You can't charm 12 stupid people into doing what you want if you're rude.

State bar associations actually reprimand and suspend lawyers for rudeness. You can go to the Florida Bar website right now and look at disciplinary actions and see.

Lawyers tend to be depressing, not rude.

Even engineers complain about engineers.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

What warmstrong1955 said.
You can find obnoxious people everywhere. Granted that lawyer need to be personable, is a job requirement. Engineers tend to be introverted but that is not a general rule, they tend to have low threshold for BS for the simple reason that have lot of scientific knowledge and a practical problem solving attitude.
Confronted with insistent and persistent BS their typical response is consistent with the thinking: "I detect you have no clue on the facts and I am not going to start from basic science and math to make you see the light since you are genetically blind to science". I am not saying this applies to you.
As all generalization this may be wrong. I am the counter example being a suave engineer.

There is also a bias in your statistic, the forum may have X total members and Y obnoxious member, you run into few that love to be argumentative and concluded based on that fact without really know what X is, the most civilized members may have learned to avoid participating in discussion with the know A. H. knowing is futile.
I can also tell you the obnoxious are not the sharpest of the bunch.

As you know there are very rude machining fora, and sites like Chasky. Try a different forum.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/engineerhumor.html

That was very funny, it is intended as humor but contains a lot of truth.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

PM is a rudeness fountain that never runs dry.

Certain types of forum users are worse than others. Fishermen are unbelievably snotty, at least in Florida. Gun forums attract a fair number of imbeciles who can't be civil. Music forums aren't bad. Chaski is an oasis.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

PM? As in Private Message?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Practical Machinist. Not the place where you want to take a rookie question.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote:Practical Machinist. Not the place where you want to take a rookie question.
And don't even THINK of mentioning "Atlas" unless you want your thread locked faster than Loctite.

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Usually you get about this far when you're typing: "H-A-R-B-O"...
eeler1

Post by eeler1 »

Well, there's engineers and then there's 'engineers'! In the US, civil engineers are the worst because they think they can do anything but are incompetent at virtually all engineering functions because they ain't never had to actually build any of the funky stuff they design. They are tied for 'worst engineers' with the UK mechanical engineers, who believe that the more moving parts you can design in the better engineer you are. In the US, old school mechanical engineers would see how few moving parts were needed to accomplish the task at hand. A similar project, the UK mechanical engineers would put out Rube Goldberg inspired designs, and then note how marvelous it was to have so many moving parts.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Lawyers aren't rude at all. That's TV BS. Lay people fall for it because they learn everything from the boob tube. Lawyers make a living persuading people and making contacts, so they tend to be very socially adept. You can't charm 12 stupid people into doing what you want if you're rude.

State bar associations actually reprimand and suspend lawyers for rudeness. You can go to the Florida Bar website right now and look at disciplinary actions and see.

Lawyers tend to be depressing, not rude.

Even engineers complain about engineers.
Huh......touch a nerve did I Counselor??

I'd call naming those folks in the box "12 stupid people" pretty rude.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.