Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

TomB

Re: Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

Post by TomB »

SteveHGraham wrote:Well, that's terrible. But it makes sense to me, ...

You can't play games when you have a conflict of interest. ...

When it comes to conflicts of interest, as I recall, whoever hired the firm first gets priority. Imagine how you would feel if they booted you over a NEW client.

Imagine how you would feel if you lost. ...

It makes sense to you because you are following the lawyer rules that non-lawyers don't know. But I was not trying to litigate this, I was only tying to show that engineers could not be the 'most-obnoxious' as there was another professions whose formal rules require they be more obnoxious.

Not to argue the point but note the lawyer gets to decide what is a conflict of interest. I was not involved in the other dispute and was only trying to get advice on how to file a bankruptcy where neither the law firm nor the internet company had claims on my LLC. But also note that I first used the firm in 1997 and the particular internet firm had not been organized at that time. But I'm sure the lawyers could argue I was not a continuous client so the new internet firm was older. It just again illustrates that as more detail is observed, the more places there are where lawyers have set the rules to their advantage. I expect lawyers are so use to the process they don't even realize that they are being obnoxious.

I've said enough and will not participate in this thread further.

Tom
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The things you're saying about this matter are completely wrong. If you will hold onto your emotions, I can explain it.
Not to argue the point but note the lawyer gets to decide what is a conflict of interest.
That's 100% wrong. Lawyers do not get to decide whether a matter is a conflict of interest. There are ethical rules already in place, and lawyers have to follow them. The firm that represented you looked at the rules and realized they couldn't represent both parties. It's that simple.

If the lawyers hadn't backed out on their own, a judge could have forced them to.

In some cases, a lawyer MAY represent two clients with a conflict IF the clients BOTH agree in writing, after being fully informed. Obviously, a client who has the power to force your lawyer off the case is likely to exercise it. That may be what happened here. But it's a bad idea to accept a conflict of interest even if the clients are okay with it. It causes problems farther down the line. It also exposes the attorney to malpractice litigation. A client can say, "Oh, I would never sue you," a thousand times, but the reality is that they WILL sue their attorneys, nearly every time. They do it every day.
But I'm sure the lawyers could argue I was not a continuous client so the new internet firm was older. It just again illustrates that as more detail is observed, the more places there are where lawyers have set the rules to their advantage.
That makes no sense whatsoever. The rules of ethics existed long before your lawyers met you or the other client. They didn't write the rules, and the rules did not help them.

As I said before--and you should read it carefully this time--the rules against conflicts of interest HURT ATTORNEYS. They force them to turn down valuable business. That firm wanted your money. They couldn't continue taking it.

You don't understand what the rules do or where they came from. They were written TO PREVENT LAWYERS FROM ABUSING CLIENTS. In the past, lawyers could represent whomever they wanted. The rules were written to assure that lawyers would LIMIT THEIR OWN BUSINESS in order to protect clients. If you think lawyers like the rules of ethics, you have a completely backward understanding of the situation.

This story is a textbook example of someone blaming lawyers for a problem he doesn't understand.

If you still think you got screwed, call the bar association TODAY and talk to someone. That's what they're there for. Filing a complaint costs nothing, and it will make your former lawyer miserable if he has actually done anything wrong. But I guarantee you, they'll tell you exactly what I did. It's not rocket science.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

What you're saying is like, "I wanted my contractor to build a house out of cardboard in a hurricane zone, but the rules are written to favor contractors, so he wouldn't do it." The rules of ethics are for your benefit, not your lawyer's.

If you think you were cheated, you need to talk to another attorney, TODAY, before your rights expire.

I don't understand why you haven't hired someone new. There are plenty of lawyers in your state, waiting for new clients. Why haven't you hired another lawyer?
gaston

Post by gaston »

My son is a person engineers come to when they cant figure something mechanical out. He is great at what he does and makes a lot of money doing it, but I'll bet the engineer who come to him would never believe he almost didn't finish high school and never spent a day in college!!
applejak_2000

Post by applejak_2000 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I actually KNOW engineers and scientists, though. I AM a scientist.
You are a scientist? What discipline may I ask?
TRX

Post by TRX »

eeler1 wrote:They are tied for 'worst engineers' with the UK mechanical engineers, who believe that the more moving parts you can design in the better engineer you are.
I owned a few British cars when I was younger. There are major differences between how a British automotive engineer and an American one would approach a problem.

A British engineer would look at, oh, a thermostat housing, and fasten it with three fine thread studs, castellated nuts, and cotter pins. An American engineer would use one or two coarse thread bolts.

I never did figure out why my Austin needed two different adapter plates to attach the engine to the transmission, or why it needed adapter plates between the engine block and motor mounts...
diyer

Post by diyer »

Comments removed. Not appropriate for this board.
Harold
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I got drinks, who's getting the popcorn?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

dead horse cat meme.jpg
AlbertNakaji

Post by AlbertNakaji »

I know two CEs. One is the nicest guy I've known. The other is the most obnoxious guy I've known.
diyer

Post by diyer »

I have experienced the same thing -- even much worse. I have concluded that when you go to "SOME" websites you will experience the following:

1. You can ask questions that "some" of the site members feel are appropriate, just dont ever state your opinions, unless you brown nose them all the time. Of course if you are new to a site your not going to know who those members are. That is where it becomes difficult. Its all a maze of politics.

2. DO NOT ever correct a long standing member regardless of how wrong they are. They will egotistically announce to you that their Website is not a democracy. The site moderator will back up the other members, i.e., his friends -- period.

3. Some websites are controlled by "CLIQUES" and some of the members of the clique are gestapo like sneaky moderators and they will ban you at the slightest whim, most especially if you are right and they egg on their face -- And OMG, show you are smarter than the moderator is and all hell will break lose. That moderator will forever be acting like a spoiled baby with double standards up his/her you know what.

4. Some websites are not really there for you -- they are there to make money one way or the other. Most especially automotive repair sites sponsored by parts sellers. Cliques at those sites are like dealing with monsters.

5. Keep copies of all your posts and consider hiring a lawyer to read your posts and if you haven't done anything egregious, or if a double standard is being applied to only you while letting other members have the freedom to say what you said, then consider filing a lawsuit for "intentional infliction of emotional distress" or whatever your lawyer feels is appropriate. Hit them in their wallet. Blog the censorship standard that you were held to everywhere you can. Le the world know. Shut them down! I can tell you that it is always usually these cliques, or some gestapo moderator with a personal vendetta that is the problem.

You can believe that some moderator at that engineering board you visited "knew or should have known" how you were being selected out for that treatment. Find out who really owns the website. Sometimes these members, moderators, cliques, etc., only get away with bullying you
because they were never reported to the "real" owners of the website. Lets see if this advice stays put. So much for the land of the free.

I know how you must feel about being censored by those inferior to your own intellect. I would bet that your posts did nothing more than offend their egos and they got jealous that you were smarter they were, because you asked better questions than they did, or gave replies that they wish they had the intellect for. Its often jealousy for control that is behind it all -- politics 101.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Wow. I've been active on "forums" since they were called "news groups". And there were certainly some (and a few well known) examples that fit your descriptions along the way. But in my experience they have been the exception, not the norm.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper