Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

Post by SteveHGraham »

There was a famous lady named Maryanne Kehoe, back in the Dark Ages. I don't know much about her, but apparently she was really unpopular on the newsgroups. People kept saying she had a head shaped like an olive loaf.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Something is going on there. Be well Steve G.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

What you speak of are human personalities. I'd ask all to exercise great care when making a generalized statement that a particular chosen career is inferior perhaps because there may have been a poor or bad experience with one individual. In our society we need each other and our chosen professions. And most of all, simple respect.

Have a bad experience with one person and feel the need to get it off your chest, (vent) without naming a name(no real need to do that here ) feel free. But don't insult a person or occupation. Thankfully, we all get to chose what we want to do in life. That's all we ask on Chaski, be reasonable and respectful of each other and those that read our forums. If a topic ventures into the realm of insulting or offending someone, then it serves no useful purpose here.

The primary mission of the Chaski Home Machinist is about the hobby of metalworking. To seek and share ideas. At the end of the day the reader gets to decide what works best for him or her. We want everyone to enjoy the site and feel it's a good resource.

Thank you,
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Marty, for your words of wisdom.

One of the reasons this board has the following it enjoys is that readers are normally not subjected to rude and insulting comments. They visit and exchange thoughts, secure in the knowledge that we mandate that language be kept polite (no vulgar or profane language is permitted), and secure in the knowledge that political and religious discussions are not allowed. Neither of those topics can be discussed without creating divisions in readership, so it stands to reason that they should not be permitted, as they serve no real purpose here. We also do not permit flaming.

Readers are here because they have been granted permission. No one has a "right" to be here---the right is granted, and can be withdrawn due to not posting with manners, observing the simple, but effective, rules we enforce. Those who are unwilling to comply are subject to dismissal, although it is not common for administration to take such action. We attribute that fact to the typically polite individuals who have chosen to frequent this board.

As a moderator, I have an obligation to keep this board running smoothly, without rancor. It is an assignment I take responsibly, so, to that end, I keep watch to ensure that posts are not offensive. When they cross the line of decency, as did the one I removed, that's exactly what I should be doing. I am unwilling to allow readers to post unnecessary comments that offend others, simply because of their choice of vocation or profession. To be criticized for upholding the responsibilities I accepted when I was invited to moderate is not acceptable, and I have no intentions of accepting the negative comments, nor the condescending remarks that were included.

To those who find observing our simple rules beyond their ability, perhaps they'd be happier if they pursued their interests on a different venue? There are boards where profanity and flaming appear to be not only acceptable, but promoted. That might be a better place to spend their time, not here on the Chaski board, where they post controversial comments, then behave as a victim when they are moderated.

In clear and simple terms, one is not free to scream fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire, in spite of the false notion that one can enter the private domain of an owner, then disregard all sense of common decency and the rules of the house.

Observe our simple rules, or hit the road. I'll be happy to show you the way if you insist, or are unwilling to comply.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

At some point a person need to show he is an adult and act as one. We are talking about forums bickering here, not about mortal offenses to your family honor.
If one sees that a forum is full of immature, thin skinned, childish, petty personalities in love with the sound of their voice rather than a genuine interest for the subject at hand, then distancing from them is only a click of the mouse.
As for engineers, they come in all sizes like doctors, lawyers, accountants, auto mechanics and andyman. In general, the less they know, the more obnoxious they are.
In my career I am been fortunate to encounter a majority of well balanced engineers and only a handful of obnoxious one.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote:Readers are here because they have been granted permission. No one has a "right" to be here---the right is granted, and can be withdrawn due to not posting with manners, observing the simple, but effective, rules we enforce.
You mean someone has the privilege of being here. Not looking to start an argument, but the distinction between a right and a privilege seems to be lost on a lot of younger people.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Harold_V wrote:Readers are here because they have been granted permission. No one has a "right" to be here---the right is granted, and can be withdrawn due to not posting with manners, observing the simple, but effective, rules we enforce.
You mean someone has the privilege of being here. Not looking to start an argument, but the distinction between a right and a privilege seems to be lost on a lot of younger people.
Thanks for your comment. I agree, the better choice of words would have been "privilege", as that's precisely what it is, and a small minority seem to not understand that concept.

I agree with your comments in regards to the younger set, although I have met and enjoyed the company of several who don't display that less than desirable quality.

While I am no longer participating, I co-moderated a precious metal refining forum for several years. We were overrun with young folks demanding simple instructions on how to refine gold. We were there to help, but it was important for them to understand that there are no shortcuts--that one must understand the basics in order to succeed, as being given short instructions simply lead to more questions. One, unwittingly, becomes a full time mentor in such circumstances.

Many were adamant that they be told---as if we had an obligation to do so (an entitlement, for lack of a better description). Their attitude generally resulted in banishment, as they refused to follow the advice to study, endlessly demanding answers to their questions, questions that would not have been asked had they followed the advice given.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Yet another comment:
Attachments
Engineer.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That's a really sad article to read.
My experiences with Engineers in professional academic environments has been more civil, than not.
It never occurred to me to respond to different data sets in an emotional way by "bullying" back, rather than a scientific or engineering approach of evaluating the data to perhaps modify my own thoughts.

What an interesting world we live in.
When people ask me why I build small steam locomotives, I just refer them to the news on TV.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

When I was studying physics and math, the correct, expected response to a student who corrected a professor's error was "Thank you."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, there's that old adage, use it or lose it...

And that business about privilege; it starts at the property line at the sidewalk, but probably just for a limited time. Oh Snap, there's already been an intrusion. We won't talk about that here.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Political comments are NOT acceptable on this board, so they have been removed.
Harold
Last edited by Harold_V on Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to eliminate political comments
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi