need cutting oil suggestions

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Grantham

need cutting oil suggestions

Post by Grantham »

For the past 15 years or so I've been using Cool Tool cutting and tapping fluid. Lately I've
noticed a sensation on the end of my tongue after a couple hours of exposure to this
stuff. Have any of you folks had similar issues and what cutting oil did you change to?
Thanks for any help. Rod
SteveM

Re: need cutting oil suggestions

Post by SteveM »

Try using it while wearing a respirator and see if you get the same sensation, That will confirm or eliminate it as the source.

I use tap magic and I haven't had any issues.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While I fully expect that the fluid in use doe not contain 1,1,1-trichlorethane, it may contain something that reacts much the same way. I used to use chloroethane for machining, as well as degreasing. Within seconds of making contact with skin, I could taste it in my mouth. Could be you're absorbing one or more of the components through your skin. Can't help but wonder how good that would be for one's health.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Grantham

Post by Grantham »

Harold, you make a good point. I get the same reaction
with a tingle on my tongue with prolonged exposure to
photopolymer resin, a material I've worked with for over 30
years. I usually wear nitrile gloves with that resin.
Wearing slippery oil covered gloves around the lathe and mill,
scare me.

This is the reason for my question about an alternative cutting oil.

Rod
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

1,1,1-trichlorethane is a ozone depleting substance, and is banned as far as I know, the last bit I had was some Tapmatic,
as far as I know most of the cutting fluids like Cool Tool and Tap Free are modified fats since they wash away with soap and water.

http://www.monroefluid.com/sites/defaul ... 5-2015.pdf
STRR

Post by STRR »

There are several ways of contamination: Absorption - through the skin, ingestion - swallowing either the product or contaminated food, inhalation - breathing vapors. If you want to nail down the path into your body, first - wear gloves. If you get the tingle again, try a vapor respirator. Not very common to get it into you mouth but it could happen. Ultimately, I don't think it matters HOW it's getting to you. It matters how to STOP it.

I would suggest AquaCut by LPS. It's a water based cutting fluid with a flash rust inhibitor. It also smells like cinnamon which is a nice difference in the shop. I have used this for several years and I really HIGHLY recommend it. It seems to turn the metal to "butter" when drilling or tapping. You can really tell when you need to reapply - the cutting gets hard again. Another dose and you're cutting butter. One other nice thing: ENCO sells it. Use a coupon/promo and try it. I think you'll be impressed. Keep it in an airtight container; it will evaporate away. Nice for clean up around the machines.

Good Luck,
Terry