ordering parts

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

ordering parts

Post by spro »

Little things bug me, like how it takes over 3 business days for a parcel to travel 4 miles when a similar parcel arrives from hundreds of miles away in 4 days.
WesHowe

Re: ordering parts

Post by WesHowe »

I used to order a lot of stuff at my job. Some suppliers a hundred miles away would pack and ship the same day, and UPS would get it there the next morning. Amazon manages 2 days pretty reliably for me. I suspect the issue is in the timeliness of the "packed and shipped" part of the process.
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

Maybe you're ordering from the wrong suppliers. McMasterCarr will courier your order to you if you're within a certain delivery radius. Order by 10AM, receive by 3PM. No minimums.
spro

Post by spro »

What you guys said makes perfect sense. How do I say this? It is an auto parts supplier 3-4 miles down the road and my normal auto is rejected by inspection. The inspection place wanted to fix most everything for a certain sum. I figured I could do it but for some reason it takes 4 days for 4 miles of parts in stock. This afternoon I called and things aren't what they used to be. Parcels are picked up and then go to another center. From there they go to me or Kalamazoo. This is getting stranger, the tracking # doesn't work.
I ain't going to bitch about it here until it the job is done or maybe never. Perhaps ball joints from Kansas arrive at the same time.
spro

Post by spro »

The deal is, my vehicles are sorta old. Mostly everyone has newer stuff. I understand inspections are crucial and I wouldn't want an unsafe vehicle on the road. In this case, it is "inner tie rod" has too much play. So slap on the rejection sticker. There must have been 1/16" play in the combination of the lower ball joint and the inner tie rod but it must be perfect. I could drive out of there and hit any numbers of potholes, iron covers but when I'm on the Autobahn it may wear the tires.
When I drive out of there, it will wear my wallet one way or another:)
The deal is, I've already driven to the place where I ordered the parts. I bought the boots for the racks and an outer tie rod. I didn't realize the manual doesn't cover into the power rack inside the boot. I saw it before and cool. An adjustable cover for the ball linkage :shock: Then when I got it off, this is expensive!! Turns out they made them 20 years and been replacing them easy all the time. Sorry about being '80s 90s guy when a tie rod was a tie rod. It is a tie rod off each side of the visible rack and that is it. Man the trucks and tractors, oh heck.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Yeah, like I wanted to buy a tube of that expensive klubber grease. The distributor is visible on my commute, but they do not have a store front and only work through reps with corporate accounts. I think some tool mix place is like that too...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

I'm not even thinking this through. I don't know why to mention except hilarity factor. I'm waiting for these parts which were only 3 miles down the street. It has been 4 days and I called UPS the tracking says ..oh crap why mention :( but anyway a parcel left Thomson Ga. 5/09 to Augusta 5/09 to West Columbia 5/10.To Greensboro NC twice 5/10 Richmond entry and departure 5/10-5 /11 AND sitting in a UPS depot twice as far away as the store.
The memo says "The receiver requested this package to be held for pickup at the UPS facility"
I didn't request that. It was clearly inputted to go to my address. I talked with UPS and they will be here next Monday.
Now am I,.?... careful, but not just me. Something else is wrong.
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

For car parts, try rockauto dot com. They have most everything in stock for most any vehicle, regardless of age. I get parts for the 1959 Ford straight six engine that powers my generator with no issue through them.
spro

Post by spro »

RockAuto is superb. Back in win 98 days we were ordering great things from them and never a problem. I mentioned the ball joints from Kansas. Kansas was the web location and the ball joints arrived from Littleton MA now. 3 days !. Last info I have is that my order through my local store will be here 8 days after ordering.
spro

Post by spro »

Parts arrived and job was done. One parcel was tracked from etc to etc and were delivered. Couldn't find those terrible spring compressors and 2nd jack slipped while separating the ball joint. Guess what, I damn sure found my spring compressors before inserting the axle shaft back into the transaxle. :)