How to Support Long PVC Pipe?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Support Long PVC Pipe?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today I worked on the pool pump again.

The return pipe is 1.5" PVC, and it's maybe 12' long. Some clever person put a PVC coupling in it. I guess they couldn't find a 12' pipe.

One end of the pipe is around 2" off the floor. I am working on the other end, replacing fittings. I want the whole pipe off the floor, because...I am not a total moron who deliberately does things wrong so he can get back in his employer's truck and get to the strip bar in a hurry.

Here is my question: how should I support this pipe, and how far apart should the supports be? I'm sure there must be some standard for this.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: How to Support Long PVC Pipe?

Post by SteveHGraham »

On the up side, I finally broke down and got a reciprocating saw. Very nice for PVC work.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I guess I'll post the first answer.

I found a chart, and it looks like it varies by the type of pipe and the temperature of the water. At 100 degrees, I have to have supports 5 feet apart.

It looks like supports are generally made for HANGING pipes, not putting them on the floor where people step on them. I wonder why.

Now I have to decide whether I want to hang the pipes or fabricate floor support things. I guess the floor supports would be easy, since I could get PVC fittings with the correct ID at Home Depot and fasten them to homemade bases using PVC cement.

Hanging the pipes would probably mean hammering new holes through concrete, so I guess I will pass on that.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I had a similar problem with a condensate line in the attic, except for the walking on part. But it needed a steady slope, and exposed to quite a bit of heat. What I replaced with new pipe was horribly distorted and impossible to bring flat again. So I use some crappy light gauge angle 2" iron (more like heavy gauge flashing, maybe 16-18 ga?) to provide a straight support for new PVC pipe only supporting at each end.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I came up with an easy solution. I will take 1 1/2" pipe and use a hole saw or something to cut 1 1/2" semicircles in it, perpendicular to the axis. That way, the pipes will sit in it and make contact at every point. Then I'll glue it to the pipes with PVC cement. I'll be able to adjust the height by dry-fitting it before applying the glue.

Good enough.

I want to kill every person other than myself who has ever worked on the pool or irrigation systems.

I don't want to talk about the imbecile who Marbletited the pool and filled the main drain in.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

if you put them on the floor , get them on the floor to avoid breakage. i also always put in some unions sot the pumps can be taken out for service and easy repair

congrats on the new tool purchase