Educate me on Sawzalls

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Educate me on Sawzalls

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm going to buy a red Tesla and have "Milwaukee" stenciled on the side, just to make you happy.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Does this explain what is happening in your avatar ?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That's Milwaukee Man.
spro

Post by spro »

You are in a damp situation and need to cut this out. It wanders into cordless for the safety factor. It is coming together and would be a shame if you got electroshocked, by one thing at one area. I don't want that to happen.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I'm going to buy a red Tesla and have "Milwaukee" stenciled on the side, just to make you happy.

Oh yeah....you're a genius......

Buy something with yet a different size battery.
And put lipstick on a pig.

The defense....rests.....

:lol:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

spro wrote:You are in a damp situation and need to cut this out. It wanders into cordless for the safety factor. It is coming together and would be a shame if you got electroshocked, by one thing at one area. I don't want that to happen.
Spro.....I think it's too late.....

He's already been shocked......

:wink:
spro

Post by spro »

Yes and one of our group. Characters are different. I can spot a turd but characters are developed and often an inside joke is not seen. In the end, electrocution or blindness wasn't on the menu. We did what we could and learn from this.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Buy something with yet a different size battery.
And put lipstick on a pig.
Don't worry. I'm going to get the 9-vehicle Tesla kit and an extra battery.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Don't worry. I'm going to get the 9-vehicle Tesla kit and an extra battery.
Just follow your trend, and history.....

Get a Tesla X, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, BMW I3, VW E, Mercedes B-Drive, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit, and a used Fiskar Karma......

Then....you can really have something to whine about......
(not your fault of course)

Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer.....
:wink:

Bill
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am in with Warm on this one, despite having older B&Decker 14.4 stuff, with 3 of 6 batteries gone. I am eying the Harbor freight 18 volt units for donor battery cells at about $17 per unit. For $35 bucks I can restore 2 more batts for the 3 drills I have in constant use. I have a sawsall that takes this battery, but it only runs about 45 seconds before the battery is drained, so it is a small boat anchor. I have a green and black drill and saw from a yard sale, without batts or charger, Have yet to investigate that, so I may donate the $6 paid to the new neighbor, or see what I cna get at the pawn in trade.

Some obsolete laptop batts are similar, but I dont know enough about them to ask the right questions. There is a Utube guy that built up bicycle batteries for his electric drive, with Li-on batts.

With the yard coops, and mobile grab and go handy stuff I do, I dunno how to live without battery tools being on the go. And yes I have a corded drill for heavy and backup work. Also from the pawn.

Like as not, mid level professionals use battery tools, they are here to stay. I think use frequency is a problem, need, not- needed. But as time goes on, the batteries are improving, and I love the cords being hung up .PS> You guys are funny. How about a drill with fart gas for power, ala Mad Max Thunder doom Pig Power...LOL
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:Get a Tesla X, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, BMW I3, VW E, Mercedes B-Drive, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit, and a used Fiskar Karma......
No, no. If I do that, I don't get a free Team Tesla T-shirt. I'm hoping they sell them out of Snap-On trucks.

With my new Teslas and my $1400 Milwaukee combo (for $400 worth of tools), I'll be able to conquer any challenge. And I'll have that cool radio.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I hope you're proud of yourself. I was supposed to study accounting today, but you inspired me to take a second look at the old Nicads from my Bosch hammer drill. I thought it might be a fun project to convert them to lithium.

I found out the charger didn't work. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems like it should be.

For future Googlers, the thing that blows up on this charger (Bosch BC130 for 18V Bluecore batteries) is the resistor between the two big caps. It's a 1/2-watt job, so it fries in a hurry. Unbelievably, I didn't have 180K 1-watt or above resistors, so I had to slop something together from a 470K and two 150K's. I stuck it in there, and now the charger works. When you remove the old resistor, you have to be careful about melting the traces where it connects to the board. They are not sturdy. Also, I discharged both large caps manually, and it wasn't enough to make the board happy (i.e. safe). The little ones can give you a jolt.

The batteries are held together by Torx screws, but the fine folk at Bosch cover one with a plastic seal that looks like metal. You can drill it out pretty quick.

I read some interesting stuff about these batteries. Evidently, a lot of them die early because of whiskering, and if you give them a few momentary whacks with a high-current power source such as a car battery charger, it can knock the whiskers off and make the batteries work again.

I don't know how high the charger voltage has to be, but I would assume you would want it higher than whatever is in the old batteries.

I may put a couple of car chargers in series and see if this works. I can put them outside the garage door and flick a switch manually so that if anything explodes, I will be protected to some degree. Guess I should back the truck up a bit.

A nut on Youtube puts lithium batteries in old Nicad cases, and he adds little voltage meters that only cost a few dollars. Apparently you can kill a lithium battery if it discharges too much.

I wonder how you can check the capacity of old Nicads. I have a feeling that in my case, it will turn out to be as simple as pulling the drill trigger and watching it stop in 30 seconds.

I have read that bad batteries can make the charger commit suicide, probably via the resistor people complain about. I am thinking that if I put the drill back to use, I might set the charger up so the resistor can be changed from outside the case.