Best Tool to Remove Small Concrete Hump from Floor

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Best Tool to Remove Small Concrete Hump from Floor

Post by SteveHGraham »

More pool- and sprinkler-related issues.

There is a hump of concrete on the floor of my pumphouse, under the sprinkler pump. I am guessing some lazy moron used a hammer to break up a nice, well-made concrete platform that once supported a pump, just so he could complete his half-...hearted installation of a new pump without proper support, so he could get in his truck ten minutes earlier and drive drunk to the nearest massage parlor.

Anyway, this thing is about the size of a man's hand. I want it out of the way.

I was thinking I could chisel it out with a rotary hammer, but that would be clumsy. Then I thought it would be neat to use a diamond saw blade on an angle grinder. Problem: it would have to be flush with the floor. I have found diamond blades, but they're not offset.

What's the best way to get rid of this hump? It has to be something small. There is no headroom or elbow room to work with.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: Best Tool to Remove Small Concrete Hump from Floor

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found something that looks promising, but it's not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/MK-Diamond-158821 ... mond+blade
spro

Post by spro »

You can work that out the old way with chisels.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have used like prodicts to level slab joints. dust protection and wet grinding help.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... oCIeHw_wcB
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Diamond wheels are the way to go.
We used to sell all kinds of 'em, as well as machines to run 'em, from hand held to walk behind. Both for cutting, and in your case, planing.
The masonry abrasive stones are OK for a small job....really small....but tend to plug up quickly, water or not.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Diamond blades are the ticket, use one on your angle grinder and tip the grinder a bit using the edge of the blade, no need to hold it flat for small jobs. That lump will be done in no time. Use a dusk mask - might try a spray bottle with water to control the dust too,
spro

Post by spro »

The hump is only "the size of a man's hand". Why not test with the proper chisel and short sledge? It is possible that it is not adhered to the surface all that well. It is like carving in that the one strike is followed by the next to split the surface or shear it. You have to "read" what you are doing and how each strike relates to the previous. Chisels are not dull but not sharp either. For example, if you hammer on the top, you're just pounding sand. You see the weak link and chisel striations to the point above. Then the impact has someplace to go. Doesn't matter now because it is going another way. Stonemasons knew it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think it's cast into the concrete. Otherwise, the previous monkey attacks would have knocked it loose.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

If you have a 7 inch angle grinder one of these cup wheels will eat concrete.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7-in- ... /202884372
I've rented them before I finally bought one.
You can try and run it wet to keep the dust down but you pretty much need a garden hose running steady to keep up.

Greg
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Try a bush hammer, if you can find one. They look like a meat tenderizer, and come as hammers, chisels or air tool bits. We used them to level beam seats on bridge piers and abutments. They're low tech and work like a champ.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got one of those heavy metal bodied monster 9" grinders from (guessing) the 60s. The kind that have a 3/4" pipe socket in the side to provide leverage to help you hold onto it. And like the gear reduction 1/2" - 3/4" drills of the same make/era, if you get it bound in the work, holding on really isn't much of an option, and you really don't want to let a hand get between an immobile object and the unstoppable force. The guard was long gone when I got it, I call it the "spinning wheel of death". But with a foot attachment I made to support it on concrete slabs, it runs a 10" (IIRC?) abrasive cutting blade like the monster it is, slicing through concrete with ease. I also have a roughly 7"(?) diamond cup that lets me carve and shape concrete with equal ease. One thing I've wanted to do is to make a hose adapter with something like fish tank air line and a targeted nozzle like flood coolant on a mill to provide easier/better directed flow when cutting. The diamond abrasive masonry cutting wheels are a lot cheaper than you might expect, and I've got a lot more in them than I do the (heavy!) grinder motor. Heavy is no fun when you have to lug it around or hold your arms extended in a cramped location. But when you can use the foot/fulcrum, that mass and power makes it nice and solid as it just sits there and eats...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I may just rent a big grinder with a diamond cup thing on it. Git 'er done.