Drones: not Necessarily Just for Perverts

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Drones: not Necessarily Just for Perverts

Post by SteveHGraham »

My recent Sawzall thread got hijacked and turned into a discussion of the merits of cordless tools. I had no interest in that topic, but threads go where they will, and I ended up learning about lithium batteries. That took me to the topic of RC toys, because you need an RC charger to convert an old NiCd charger to Li-ion.

Unfortunately, while I was reading up, I discovered drones. I had assumed that all drones were expensive, and that the only hobbyists who used them were perverts and people who enjoyed tormenting their neighbors. I may be correct on the last two points, but I was wrong on the first: it appears that small drones are very cheap indeed. I could not resist picking one up. I am wondering if anyone else here plays with these things.

For 13 bucks, you can have a quadcopter that will fly for over 5 minutes, if you have the skill to keep it in the air that long. That's the from-China price. If you buy from within the US, it's more like 15 bucks. I did not know about the super-cheap drones, so I paid $30 for one locally.

This thing is amazing. It's smaller than a computer mouse, but you can fly it 200 feet in any direction (up included) without losing the signal, and it really moves. I am still working on indoor flight. I tried it outside and flew it onto the roof within ten minutes (affording me an opportunity to climb on the roof and notice that bees were infesting my soffit again; there goes $150).

I ordered a couple of the $13 ones, plus a tiny copter with six blades. I am assembling my own air force for $90. I figure that if I have at least 3 of these things, I will have enough battery capacity to get in a meaningful amount of daily practice without 30-minute charging pauses.

Technology is destroying our liberty and privacy, which is really bad, but it's certainly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIesP135GcA

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Re: Drones: not Necessarily Just for Perverts

Post by spro »

I read and watched the video. Something occurs to me since those bees are invading again and a drone is a drone. See where I'm going? That mini drone sounds much like a large bee and wouldn't it be interesting ( when you have the skill as the video) to make a visit/hover to that bee colony and see what happens. Please have a camera :)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Don't think I didn't wish I could do that. I'd like to arm a drone with a laser and send it up there to clean house.
spro

Post by spro »

The micro can't carry anything but who's to know the reason it crashed there. One or more bees attacked it ? This is interesting stuff.
spro

Post by spro »

Since this conversation, I've been educated about newer drone abilities. There is one named Drone Volt Spray Hornet. (type all lc for search) It carries a can of wasp/bee killer right up to the nest and sprays it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have one of the copter type toys, and it flies remarkably well, considering my ham handed control.

John, who has appeared in my thread bought me this, and works at a hobby store. He gets to change out various parts after severe crashes, and is up to date on a lot of new products for cash customers. The mini toys are indeed very cheep, and can serve to train your visual skills for flying a larger( read expensive) drone copter with camera and other abilities.

last year, I stopped a couple a guys who were wandering the property, and they claimed to be looking for a quad copter tht flew out of control range, and headed North over the tree lines and woods. $800 job, with mini cam. Too bad for your luck, but I chuckled at self destructive toys. Way back when, I used to be a circle jerker pilot, and all the crash and glue that entailed. It was fun, but girls won out eventually, and I was not a good pilot there either. I quit flying when I went to work after high school, finding Honda 750 cc more exciting and usefull.

After a couple of hours use, the 'Air Hog' style chopper is gathering dust. I had to stop flying it as the cats made extreme leaps to capture the bird, and I feared for their eyes being damaged by the blades. Drove them crazy to take it down.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

When I see these things hovering over the coffee table with their little lights glowing, I feel like I went to sleep and woke up in a Star Wars movie. I never thought I'd see this kind of stuff in my own house. Especially not for twelve dollars.