Bogus Man

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Bogus Man

Post by steamin10 »

I myself enjoy the clsisical music, including tenor voice. I have two years of formal instruction on violin, but cant play worth a hoot due to my hearing loss, on high tones. My children all played instruments in high school. my daughters attaining first chair rather early. Son youngest played Alto sax, Middle daughter played Clarinet, and oldest daughter, Flute and Piccolo. Oldest daughter spent 9 years in persuit of a degree, and taught middle school for 5 years, won awards in various forms for Photographic art, and quit teaching last year because of conflicts with the school board and its 'no child left behind' overview. She is now a co-driver with her husband in long distance trucking.

My Son is a field mechanic working on container cranes, and middle daughter is a free lance commercial gardener, and housing maintenance contractor, doing drywall and house painting both interior and exterior. She has contracted several re- roofs, and maintains a Koi pond at home.

Steph is a chip of the old blockhead, and finds and reuses things given up by others, like swimming pools, hot tubs, and lawn equipment, to enrich her life. (GO grl!)

I dunno, they all tend to think outside the box,

By the way, there is no market for chinchilla meat, even in tacos. Look up 'Critter Corral.org' for some cuties we have.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Remarkable family. This has nothing to do with "the bogus man". I so wish I never mentioned this group. I saw some later "bogus man" videos were made to destroy Rick Perry and conservatives along the way to what we have now. At least I never destroyed any one, any State or an entire Nation by listening. I had more respect for Brian Ferry than this sort of thing. Lead in the water or needless meddling in American affairs. Pandering to what? Look at what the last few years brought your Country and the rest of Europe. Oh it will be equal. We know and suspect what is coming by way of NOT the bogus in your watch. (like, talking to Brian Ferry) He had to screw it up.
I listened to a lot of the muzik.. Friday night overdose and they were great again then saw the whole "bogus man" thing had been used against conservative governors and candidates for years. I may vomit thru my ears.
What a flyin waste to go down that way. So Over it doesn't hurt. I didn't know it got to that point a few years ago.
Dave, if we ever converse again, it will have no mention of bogus man in thread or title.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

In keeping with Board policy, I was tongue in cheek with the Chinchilla coment.

Music is one thing, politics another. So I ignored the political. I am disappointed in my children in certain points, but they live their life, as they choose, and for that, I have high praise. They do well. I am investigating building Hammered Dulcimers, and medieval and mountain dulcimers. I have not found adequate patterns or plans yet. I am going to ping our guitar builder Mr. Ford to see if has any sage advice. I need less strenuous work, and am turning inward toward what I like. I have a passion for building and repair of machines and wood working.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh for Pete's sake Dave. I really like hammer dulcimers. I have some plans for design and building one. If you don't know Dorthy Carter and her first two albums, you're missing something grand. She impacted me so deep, I still have a full bank of memory about her music. Really, she is so fantastic.. She would sing in almost a low coo ( like the chipmonk is a funny thing) and work into cascading harmonies of rhythms which astounded me then. Serious artist, this woman and there were selections which were as eerie as can be imagined. I suppose the '80's were along time ago but virtuosos as her helped peel away the veneer of rock into something timeless.
Be aware. It depends on state of mind. This isn't back ground music. Since you know the Hammer and Mountain Dulcimers, you know the artistry to build selections as this with basic no embellishments. The very best is too difficult at first.
And I violated what I said. However; You grabbed me in a totally different place. I mean there is certain wood for the sides, under the bridges, tops and bottoms. THEN someone whose deeply knows their instrument, plays it better than the book. No way can sound that well but it does. These are real personal like all acoustic instruments.
spro

Post by spro »

It seems Dorothy Carter died in 2003. There is little video of her playing. Albums, of course but practical media now. She was an orchestra herself with her hammer dulcimers. Sure guys too. Many. I will always remember Dorothy Carter.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Dave:
Check out Dusty Strings, in Seattle.
http://manufacturing.dustystrings.com
They might be the world's largest manufacturer of hammered dulcimers.

I've watched them grow from a small garage operation in the 1970s to the quality manufacturer they are now.
I also provided advice on improvements for their string-winding lathe. Most interesting!

They used to have dulcimer kits. 'Don't know if that's still true. Check 'm out, anyway.
~RN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Putting in a search brings up the standard overload of information. I want a full sized deep throated unit plan to build, as Mom will not allow another $500 dollar (kit) project around gathering dust. Most dont know there are many types of Hammered Dulcimer, including the European Cimbalum, that usually has working mutes. So just getting a plan is not the key, it is deciding on the right plan for me. I may just give in and build a 12?11 and practice on that. Larger are just more octave spread with improved sound and volume.

Having said that, there are a few Utube demos like Yoder and others that demonstrate the instrument very well, and Gizzi from the UK does some great duets. It is the flowing sound of the melding of notes in the sustain, that creates a captivating sound.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I remember learning that the hammered dulcimer was a popular instrument in Appalachia. Came as quite a surprise to me, since my family is from Eastern Kentucky and I've never known a single person who played that instrument.

I think big city music nerds make stuff up.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

I think we should have a separate Thread for Hammered Dulcimers. It shouldn't be in this one. These are complex in their way and there is a resurgence of interest. You just can't go out and build something like this without knowing the prior engineering. We are talking near hundreds of strings at tension. Just as PM has a section for wood working it requires Machine tools and knowledge of them to make instruments efficiently.
Oh of course, hand made. Start from scratch. I don't think that is the option for most. We must rely on those who have built, improved and share their knowledge of what works and what utterly failed. Tremendous tension yet rewards are great. Each strike of the hammer may activate four strings depending upon the intensity or strike angle. This is super intuitive stuff and it can't be changing while learning. It would be akin to a bad cello which constantly flexes or an undependable machine tool.
I find them fascinating in many ways. Fingers, fingertips, hands cannot express intensity by guitar means but the knowledge is there. The passion is there. This is a percussion instrument with ranges beyond the talking drum.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Graham: Folk music like art is somewhat personal, and family orientd. Most players dont exhibit their skills outside of tight groups. There is also the confusion by name of Dulcimer, that the lap or mountain dulcimer that grew up in the Appalachian region is barely 200 yrs old as an instrument. The hammered dulcimer has its roots in the harp and lyre type instruments and has a heritage of bout 15 cenruries. Its popularity waned after the Pianoforte was created, with all its repeated hammers and strings, that became small enough to fit into homes. There are a great many musical instruments that have subsided from view like the tin pennywhistle, teardrop (lap) dulcimer, and many lute instruments. Fine string instruments have developed too, like the 1700's Italian hummback violins sought after now by avid players for its rich sound. (The stringed front had a promounced hump that added volume and richness of tone, over the Stradovari design.)

Despite its looks, the Hammered Dulcimer is fairly easy to learn as far aspicking out notes, and most players play by ear. It is the muscle control (memory) that takes time to develop, and is the real key to clear notes. When played at a leisurely pace the notes ring out and blen in a filling background to any flute, whistle or guitar accompanyment. Tht is the real strength of it, and rapid play without mutes, tends wo wash and muddy the noting into noise. Like a child with a $2 harmonica, you can make noise with it right off, or study the mechanics of it, and refine it to amzing levels. One thing that has come to mind, Scarbouro Faire is a very old English tune, and is wondeerfull, when set to the hammers. Much 'New Age music just does not do wel as they are written formodern concept of music, That would be guitar instead of the boomier lute. And so it goes. I love the induvidual notiing that blend into chords, with runs and fills by the accomplished that allow for style and ear.

By the way. The hammered dulcimer come in many differnt styles. Some have 3 and 4 string notes. The larger now have 66 strings. Imagine trying to keep that tonnage of string draw in tune on a quad strung unit.
spro

Post by spro »

I came across some information "Building the Hammer Dulcimer" It is so old now. Pre net by years. I can tell you, whatever you build, One hammer on one set of strings is contagious, those resonations are dampened by the next stroke. Dorothy Carter again but we are not her. No way we get to another's mastery quickly. There is something very tactile about these. It is a direct connection to passion in the brain and your fingers may be wore out and wrists, well they are important but it still happened. without..long time ago. I still think it is a very wonderful instrument.
spro

Post by spro »

-should be a special place- and Wonderful instrument. The album Wailee Wailee by Dorothy Carter is on the net now. It wasn't earlier but there is more interest. I recall going to various record stores back in the '80's trying to find her albums. Nobody had them and at some point I became a pest and finally they special ordered an album. Then another. It is interesting, looking back to when I first got into her music. Sometimes I wished she didn't sing because I was focused on the instrumentals. She seemed older then but that was 30+ years ago. She is fresh as spring morning now.
Beautiful in all ways and this the introduction.
Like all things, what you like first or dislike first, isn't the best. It evolves and is pretty timeless. I had not heard that album in over 20 years and it still resonates.
Nuff said.