Solder is too Complicated for Me

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Solder is too Complicated for Me

Post by SteveHGraham »

I had an amazing time recently, trying to order solder over the Internet. I am wondering if other people here are aware of the pitfalls. It took me like 3 hours to find something adequate at a good price. I used to buy whatever I saw at Radio Shack, but they're going out of business.

Stuff I learned:

Solder with resin comes in 3 types: resin activated, resin mildly activated, and plain old rosin. It comes in three rosin percentages: 1.1%, 2.2%, and 3.3%. It comes in about four million diameters. It comes in a huge number of flavors, and apparently, the best one for hobby use is 63% tin/37% lead.

I also learned that people report disappointing results with Chinese solder (probably the only type I have every bought until last week), so you need to look for American or European brands.

I had never heard of cleaning solder joints. I always figured that if it stayed attached, it was a good joint.

The most annoying thing I saw while I was trying to get it together was this: when you solder, you're not supposed to melt the solder onto the iron. You're supposed to heat the work and apply the solder to it afterward. I knew that already, but it still annoyed me, because it's very hard to apply this knowledge. In my experience, most wire insulation will melt and fall off before the wire gets hot enough to melt solder, and there's a good chance that degree of heat will cause copper traces to peel off circuit boards.

I feel like life was better before I had the Internet. I miss not knowing what I was doing wrong.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Re: Solder is too Complicated for Me

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote:The most annoying thing I saw while I was trying to get it together was this: when you solder, you're not supposed to melt the solder onto the iron. You're supposed to heat the work and apply the solder to it afterward. I knew that already, but it still annoyed me, because it's very hard to apply this knowledge.
I apply some solder to the tip of the iron first. The small amount of liquid will help transfer heat to the joint better than just the hard point or line contact of the soldering iron tip.

Applying solder to the iron and letting it flow onto the part can create good joints, but you have to let the part heat up enough.

If you are having problems with heat, you can use one of those spring loaded closed tweezers on the wire or part just above the solder joint to help wick some of the heat off before it gets up the wire. The better contact you can make, the better it will work.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Steve, first is material, and then method. Rosin core is for electical, and, acid core is for more general work. I bypass acid core and use brush on flux or solder bearing paste, and solid wire of selected size. The slightly green liquid of stanous chloride is available too, and is great for small work with a painters brush, about 1/4 the size of the normal acid brush.

Wave a torch for heat control, until the flux melts and clears the part ( de-oxidze), and touch in just enough solder to fill the joint.
Electical joints are much the same, with a pencil or gun type tip. Prep, join and steady the part, and apply a HOT gun to the joint, dab the solder and get off, to cool quickly. Excess heat will cause problems as mentioned, so a bit of practice is in order. The finer wires work best for small wiring and joints, unlike the plumbers roll of 60/40, or lead free.

Electrical wiring can be cleaned while hot with a cotton swab and water. Since it should be rosin, it is usually ignored as it is not corrosive like acid core.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

SteveHGraham wrote: In my experience, most wire insulation will melt and fall off before the wire gets hot enough to melt solder, .
If this is your case then your iron is to small. Go to a higher wattage iron and heat faster not allowingthe heat to travel up the wire.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Yeah, don't spare the heat. I like a good temperature-controlled iron like a Hakko FX888D or Weller WES51 / WESD51. I usually work with it around 700 degrees for electronics work.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Let's see. The number on my Weller is WLC100. I thought I was pretty fancy when I got it. Sure beats the Radio Shack jobs that don't come with a stand.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

so its a 40 watt soldering iron. will be ok for lite work on pc boards and small conductors. much of soldering is all about a clean well tinned iron . with out that oxides will form and you will never get the job done. get some old parts and practice practice practtice. it is more skill than mech aptitude.