Help me Open a Mailing Tube

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Help me Open a Mailing Tube

Post by SteveHGraham »

I need a real pro to answer a question: how do I get the metal cap out of the end of an 8-foot cardboard mailing tube containing Delrin rod? Pliers won't budge it. I guess I can hammer a screwdriver through it and twist it out, but there must be a proper way to do it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Re: Help me Open a Mailing Tube

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Remove the staples, or nails.
Use the Delrin in the tube, like a slide hammer.

That's assuming it's not one of the twisty kind, that have barbs that lock into slots in the OD of the cardboard tube.
Most are plastic, but some are metal.
If you have those, turn the barbs out of the slots, and pull, or, do the slide hammer thing if it's stuck.

Like fallin' of a piece of cake....or somethin' like that.....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This crazy thing has no staples. The caps are heavy steel, and they're pushed in about 4".

I found out what to do. You have to take a chisel and beat on one side of the cap until it rotates into the tube. Then you grab the edge of the cap with pliers and yank it out. A lot of trouble for one plastic rod.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You should throw in a picture.
I've received a kazillion of those things. Plugs made out of plastic, wood, particle board, sheet metal, cardboard.....and stapled in, nailed in, twist locks, some barbed, taped, and even glued.....I've never seen a one plug that would qualify as 'heavy steel'.

If I got some that were heavy steel....I would build something out of 'em.

:)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's about the same gauge steel you would see in a soup can. Way more than you need to hold a mailing tube together.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It was so thick, I considered saving the ends for scrap. The other day I needed a small piece of sheet steel.
Mike Ehlert

Post by Mike Ehlert »

Sounds like some McMaster-Carr materials I have received. More $ in the packaging than the metals.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

cut the end off the tube with a hacksaw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, large shear or use 2 wraps of det cord at the end of the tube oh i foregot chain saw
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You forgot dynamite.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh yes. I thought it was Delrin. :)
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Steve, opening his mailing tube.....
Delrin....is now in three states.....
Steve.png
:D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:You forgot dynamite.
Brings back fond memories of the time I worked for United Precision, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
A large aluminum piece (forged) was acquired for a job for one of their customers. It was a piece not perfectly suited to the project (too long), but was similar in shape to the requirements. Said another way, the price was right.

United had a 42" DSG lathe, on which the piece was turned once parted to length. That might give you an idea of the size of the forged piece of aluminum, which was too large to be sawn by any of the saws in the area, at the time.

In order to remove a foot or so of the length, saw cuts were taken around the piece to the deepest possible depth, leaving a core of several inches in diameter. The large piece was placed on a gurney, then the saw cut packed with more than a couple sticks of dynamite. United had moved to their new location, which, at that time, was well out of the city (most likely not the case now, as this was back in the late 60's). They pushed the gurney out behind the shop, where there was nothing but open fields. They had the good sense to point the end to be removed away from the shop.

The charge was detonated, resulting in a large piece of aluminum being launched well in to the air, and the gurney reduced to rubble. A funny experience to witness, to be sure.

General consensus was that considerably less dynamite would have been needed. :P

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.