Windows 10

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Windows 10

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, ctwo. I'm reconsidering my decision, as I received a voucher for free assistance in solving the error code problem.
The one thing I fear is that, in the future, if one isn't up to date, features that may be desirable won't be functional under W7, although what they might be I don't have a clue. It's a thought that came to me when I considered that the scanner I have isn't supported under W7----so I can see how other things can go the same direction.

I'll likely give it a go in the next day or two. Spread a little thin right now due to shingling a roof I just built.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That's a very reasonable concern. But I think you'll likely learn to like W10 just fine.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:That's a very reasonable concern. But I think you'll likely learn to like W10 just fine.
Thanks, Russ. Since my first post I've received a little more input, including comments from others who have and are using 10. The general opinion is it's quite good---and indications are my Office 7 package will run without issue. All in all, assuming I can get past the error, I think I'll be fine with the upgrade. I'm expecting a call from MS in the next day or so, hopefully helping overcome the error.

I appreciate all the input I've received. I'm simply not qualified to make decisions in regards to these matters.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

This is a NEW ASUS computer with Windows 10. I have the Windows 10 for Dummies, and the Beezix quick reference card to help...This Windows 10 was written for computer wiz kids. I was watching Jay Leno, in this site and kept receiving a warning that my cooling system is ka-put, Where this is going, is... I will have my Windows 7 repaired! Trying to put 10 on top of XP or 7 is trouble.
Goodluck
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

toolroom wrote:This is a NEW ASUS computer with Windows 10. I have the Windows 10 for Dummies, and the Beezix quick reference card to help...This Windows 10 was written for computer wiz kids. I was watching Jay Leno, in this site and kept receiving a warning that my cooling system is ka-put, Where this is going, is... I will have my Windows 7 repaired! Trying to put 10 on top of XP or 7 is trouble.
Goodluck
Well, you may be on the right track. My computer is about five years old now, purchased with Vista, but with a free update to W7 when it was released, which was almost immediately.
I received a call from MS Support this morning--one that I requested, thanks to a voucher for one free service call. The individual who took control of my computer informed me that installing W10 would lead to problems, as my computer lacks the proper drivers. He implied that they may be available from HP, however, which is something I must explore.

In general, the comments from those who run W10 are favorable, many suggesting that it is very much like W7. If that be the case, making the change would not be an issue for me, and it would most likely be of benefit, although in ways I can't describe, thanks to being less than up to speed with computers.

Harold