Windows 10

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Windows 10

Post by Harold_V »

Tonight I attempted to download Windows 10, knowing the offer to do so for free expired today. I had put it off intentionally, secure in the knowledge that it most likely would be troublesome, and I am poorly equipped to deal with such issues. Sadly, I was greeted with an error code (80072EE2), one that apparently prevented the download. For a guy like me who has little in the way of computer skills, it's a roadblock that stops me dead in my tracks.

What to do? Any thoughts that might help me get past this hurdle?

Thanks in advance for anything you may be able to offer.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Re: Windows 10

Post by BadDog »

If there was a problem with the download, calling MS and explaining might get you an extension on the download.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. W10 is mostly an incremental update. If it were not for my job, I wouldn't care as long as I was running anything past Vista, basically W7, W8.1, or W10 would be ok by me. And there are some benefits to staying with the older versions in that range, though selecting any of them is a trade-off in somethings, it's just a matter of what's important to you.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tomc

Post by tomc »

if you can post here, you can google that error code. Microsoft home page should have a support link for W10.

One thing to learn is the old microsoft office may not be compatible with W10. They now want us to buy a new package or rent by month.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

Tried fooling with LibreOffice? Seems to work. Seems to.
No windows here, I don't know how well it runs on that.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tomc wrote: They now want us to buy a new package or rent by month.
Thanks for that comment, Tom. Considering my limited need for Office, paying on a monthly basis or paying for a newer version isn't in the cards for me. Could be I'm just going to leave things as they are. I am not unhappy with how it performs (W7), so I see no need to fix what isn't broken.
Bad Dog wrote:I wouldn't worry about it too much. W10 is mostly an incremental update. If it were not for my job, I wouldn't care as long as I was running anything past Vista, basically W7, W8.1, or W10 would be ok by me. And there are some benefits to staying with the older versions in that range, though selecting any of them is a trade-off in somethings, it's just a matter of what's important to you.
I have a policy. I do NOT assume unnecessary expenses that are ongoing (like paying a monthly fee for Office). As an example, there's no way in hell I'd be willing to pay for cable TV or satellite service. I worked too hard for my money to toss it for such nonsense. Armed with your comments, it was easy to arrive at the above conclusion. Thanks, Russ.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My XP is starting to run uphill, as it is no longer supported, and cutting me off from Dropbox, Google Chrome and several other common used programs. So I am looking to update to another package without huge cost.

As far as expense for TV and the like, I hate AT$T for the diservice they give customers, not only with required phone packages to hand computer lines, but they have taken over my Sat company, and that programming has deteriorated to re-runs of old re-runs several time a month, which makes no sense since you have programmable recording features to download movies when they pass by.. I am considering cancelling it for air channels since we have about 23 available from Chicago and repeater stations. about ten or so, are Spanish speaking, but free is free. If youu are really bored, turn off the sound and just watch a spanish game show with their carnival quality prizes, or one of their soaps. Its hilarious for a few minutes anyway.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

I bought this laptop a couple years ago. It was old (2007) but had a good fast processor and had been updated to Win7 with lots of programs and stuff. Win7 has constant updates and now and then, I notice a new feature. The amount of digital air channels continue to grow. There are about 55 around here so even old TVs with big screens (big cost to junk them) can be used with those D/A tuners for decent programing. A person can get all the basic local networks of course but there are some good digital ones like JUSTICE, ME, ESCAPE, REVN,RETRO,GRIT, GET, MOVIES,H&I, NHK and more.
So far, I haven't said anything and don't intend to be one of those bores selling cheap antennae.
These feeds are available on the net and Win7 can get them but I'm not sure Vista could. On occasion I reside where FIOS is available and HISTORY, DISCOVERY,etc are great but they go into infomercial in the middle of the night. I can have 250 channels available and spend 7 minutes flipping thru them. I don't want to be assailed by the new mores, antagonized by what everyone supposedly has or entertained by violence and destruction. I can pass thru a hundred channels and neither program has the weight of an old b/w Hitchcock, Wagon Train or Gun smoke. I was working or thought they were old, corny stuff but there are gold nuggets in some of them. It's not the quantity.. another deleter :(
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Harold, did you try through windows update? That's how I downloaded the SW.

Windows 7 mainstream support ended over a year ago, and extended support will end in 2020. You might be looking at new hardware by then anyway.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote:Harold, did you try through windows update? That's how I downloaded the SW.
Yes, that's how I attempted the update. It's also how I got the error message. Funny thing is, other updates have worked without issue. Only the update to 10 has been troublesome.
Windows 7 mainstream support ended over a year ago, and extended support will end in 2020. You might be looking at new hardware by then anyway.
I tend to agree, although if I am able to make the switch to 10, I'll give it a try---but only if I can revert back to 7 without issue. All I want is a computer that runs and can do the things I do---like moderate this board.

Harold
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

I'm STILL using XP Pro because MasterCam works very nicely on that platform. Earlier this year, I decided to NOT go with Microsoft again to buy a new machine with Windows 10. I heard about all the problems with installing 10 and then having to rush install the updates and get it for free. NOTHING is free with Microsoft! I bit the bullet and bought a new MacBook and got Office for Mac. This notebook is extremely fast and no BS every time there's an update. So simple and easy to learn. AND I go to any Apple Store and ask all the questions I need to learn any app. I'm glad I made the change and I'm 73. You're NEVER too old to change! :)

I use BOTH my PC (with XP Pro) and the Mac at the same time. Good for the gray matter. :)
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Harold, I used CloneZilla to mirror my hard drive to a new one I bought ($50 for 240GB SSD - the new drive must be identical or larger size). I then unplugged my old Win7 drive and booted from the cloned drive for the update. You can also mirror you existing partitions to a larger USB drive if you want to go back. Or, you can downgrade via control panel (I've read, but not looked).

So far I like Win 10 as it works and seems a bit quicker. At least it has caused me no trouble.

Maybe this route, or a call. I think it is a good offer (so far, anyway) and glad I took advantage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... windows10/
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I found this that might get you in.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/missed-fre ... -backdoor/