What do you think of this idea?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jscarmozza

What do you think of this idea?

Post by jscarmozza »

My wife and I have been slowly divesting our home of things we no longer need or use, anticipating that sooner or later we are going to have to move from NJ to another state due to the high property taxes. We were getting rid of some things and my wife commented that it was only her things that were going. :D I gave her a rational explanation that I use all of my tools, so none of them can be sacrificed; then she said 'what about all of the other stuff that you don't use?' That got me thinking about some of the things I have that may be of interest to some in the model RR community.

The posting in the Riding Scale Railroading section regarding the GG-1 seems to generate a lot of interest, it appears that the biggest impediment to modeling the locomotive is duplicating all of the compound body curves. I have a 1" scale cast iron body and the wood and fiberglass pattern used to cast it, I also have the wheel pattern (check Casting & Foundry Work, Core Mixes, for a picture of the wheel core box). I used the cast iron body as a form to make a sheet metal body for my model, others may be interested in doing the same thing. I no longer need any of the aforementioned items to complete my model so I have no problem letting these things go, especially if others can use them. I was thinking that a club could take possession of the body and loan it for a fixed time period and fee to modelers that want to use it as a form; the thing can be cut in half so there is one available on the east coast and west coast. When I made my body, I only used one end of the body casting so a half is fully functional for fabrication, the casting is very heavy, so shipping half would be more manageable. I'd like to see the wheel pattern go to a reputable commercial operation (Highiron, Friends, Tanski) that would produce castings for sale, individual ownership of the body would likely restrict access to it, and it would be a shame for it to remain out of production or in limited access.

What do you think of my idea? John
Attachments
image.jpeg