Weed/ brush hacker head

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Weed/ brush hacker head

Post by spro »

My Stihl FS85 was running strong so I murdered those plastic legs. These are replaceable cutting legs to fit the Stihl Polycut head. Well I left the legs somewhere else and tried heavy .095 tri end line in various ways. The best way I found was to use a 16" length, wrap it all around the bushing once. That gives two strands projecting ~ 6" . Securing them together was best using hog rings. Using the hog ring tool gives an initial grip, then pliers. I used Jigalube or some dry lube at the bushings. This presents six cutting strands to anything and cuts really well. By the time I wear them out, ready for a break anyway :)
spro

Re: Weed/ brush hacker head

Post by spro »

Okay. This seems simple and it is but there are many ways to go about it. I tried them. First the .095 string is too stiff to merely tie a knot and secure with zip ties. They just can't deal with it. Melting the knot or other parts makes them brittle at that area and that is where they break. Dum old hog rings. One flew off because it wasn't tightened enough but the strand was there to see. No visible wear to the bushing/ wrap area and no wear at the hog ring/ clamp area. All my actual blades and adaptor heads are someplace else so this does work a treat. :)
Maybe "work" wasn't the right word there :)
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

OK, what have you found that will hold up to wire fencing, like chain link fence? I have the same trimmer and I have yet to find something that a wire fence won't just snatch out of the head!!

Pete
Just tryin'
TomB

Post by TomB »

10KPete wrote:OK, what have you found that will hold up to wire fencing, like chain link fence? I have the same trimmer and I have yet to find something that a wire fence won't just snatch out of the head!!

Pete
I personally prefer the Husky trimmers but on the mountain we use Sthil's. The ops crew that has to clear all the ski trails once or twice per year always replaces the string heads with 3 or 4 blade metal cutting blades. I've used them a few times and although I thought they might be more dangerous I found that mostly not to be the case. The advantage is they will cut good sized saplings and I expect that old barb wire would cut in most situations. If the wire was laying mostly free for 20 feet or so the blade would likely push it rather than cut it and in that case the blade might wrap up the wire. It would be a bitch to get it free. But 20 feet of wire is likely visible. 3 foot still stapled to a rotting and fallen over old fence pole is more likely what would tear up a string cutter but something the blade would likely sever.

All that said not all trimmers will adapt to the solid blade cutters. Smaller machines are intended for home use and most likely will not take the added inertial of the solid blade cutters. The one risk factor that does remain with the solid trimmers is that when you swing them into a gravel bank they can make the stones fly. Getting hit with a stone hurts and the screens that come on the safety helmet will not stop one of the flying stones.

Tom
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yep. I gutted two TORO type home units putting on nylon blade heads, and even on that had chains saw type links for strings. It loosened and set a piece flying to ding a vehicle. sure was hard on sticky type weeds tho. I have a handfull of cast off trimmers tossed around fathers day, I guess liek giving Mom a new steam iron (ugh!). At any rate the sub $100 units just are not up to swinging metal blades and super cutters. better off to just buy string in bulk, and take you time trimming up.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

I don' have any chain link to deal with now but can see that would be a problem with a feed type head. I will say the performance of the six tri is pretty good. The original nylon/plastic legs are strong but become so hot they warp. They stick into head slot so you are running on one leg. I have also noticed these legs can get a grip on the bushing and the whole Torx screw and nut can fly apart. The line I'm using for this temporary situation is yellow Rhino-Tuff .095/2.4mm. 250 ft. in a package with a cutter atop isn't a bad deal. These lines go right thru regular grass, weeds and vines. It is curbing and masonry that wears the length.
Hog rings are not even the right thing for this. A crimpable sleeve such as used copper fuel or steel brake line .... I have enough of that junk to do this better. 1/4" sections of the right ID should work.
The whole time there is a new head with three saw blades, sitting elsewhere.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Thanks spro, metal blades just aren't good for fence wire!!! I want to cut the veggies not the fence. I've got to select something and give it a try and wondered about the plastic three legged thingies.

Pete
Just tryin'
spro

Post by spro »

Hey Pete. You have a FS85. They are awesome and don't have to run wide open to do things. I was doing some neglected curb trimming the other day. Had it twisted sideways, upside down ripping crab grass. Lot of power. Dirt and stones in the air while it was trenching. Those legs are fine but they cost money and wear away like anything else. I was sorta forced to find an alternative. That Stihl Policut head is a good heavy unit and most anything, including chain can be attached, yet not recommended :)
OH yes.. The head, the miter gear head driver unit. Get the right grease from Stihl and Lube that baby. They made it very simple to do that because it Needs that.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

That unit is babied 'cause I just do that with tools. Gear head is greased about every 10 hours and flushed every year. I love that Stihl equipment. Got the FS85, two chain saws, and had a pole trimmer. The first Stihl I owned was back in '75 when I was workin' in the woods. Had a 48" bar on the feller the biggest motor they made then. That sucker would just EAT trees!! And I've never had one quit. I've wore 'um out but never had one just fail.

Pete
Just tryin'
spro

Post by spro »

The Swedes know how to make things, no question. I could go back decades about different times and equipment. One thing which sticks in my head was their Tank at some time. The cannon was fixed to rotation only but the track wheels were all articulated to position the vehicle to any angle. Very squat tank yet deadly machine. The Nazis couldn't defeat Sweden but they tried and the Soviets would have a bad time also.
spro

Post by spro »

Back to Stihl trimmers and chainsaws. There is a place on ebay the person sold new carburators for $13.00. I bought two. They are great. The Stihl FS85 had sat for years. The primer bulb crushed to pieces when I pressed it. I did replace the bulb and tried to clean the carb because I've been into these little things before. The gaskets and autopulse action was all gone. For the price of a kit, you get a new carb. They are closely tuned to where the engine should expect, so it wasn't long when things were perfect. I can rebuild the original carb and have a kit but this replacement carb has rocked my little world, for months.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I myself am sold on Stihl products, have had a coupla chainsaws for many years. Good stuff.

It is always better beyond the money, when a tool works well when required. Making do is an option, but not in my comfort zone.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.