Q: Any Porter-Cable Sanders experts here?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

diyer

Q: Any Porter-Cable Sanders experts here?

Post by diyer »

Does anyone know what it meant when P-C put the type on the label of their various model sanders. I noticed that the older the sander the earlier the type. The types I have seen go for type 1 (seems like early 1990's), up to type 8, (current 2016). The P-C website does not say anything about types. But evidently it means something. I wonder if it just means a production run, or if it also means changes done to the tool?
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
BadDog

Re: Q: Any Porter-Cable Sanders experts here?

Post by BadDog »

For my part, not that I would know, but you would need to be more specific. All my PC sander/grinders are older than the 90s. I've got a very nice "sander" from probably the late 50s early 60s with a 2 x 48 belt. And I've got a very delicately made "sander" :lol: 8) called a "G8" that was produced during the WWII war effort. But neither of those appears to be relevant to your question...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
diyer

Post by diyer »

BadDog

Porter-Cable was founded in 1906 by R.E. Porter, G.G. Porter, and F.E. Cable

In 1960, the company was sold to Rockwell International. Rockwell made numerous changes, including phasing out the Porter-Cable name, relocating the company's base of operations to Jackson, Tennessee, and creating a lower end of power tools to compete with Black & Decker. These tools had numerous reliability problems and harmed the brand's image. :x

In 1981, Pentair, Inc. acquired Rockwell's power tool group and restored the Porter-Cable name :D

In October 2004, the Pentair Tools Group—comprising Porter-Cable, Delta Machinery, DeVilbiss Air Power, and others—was purchased by Black & Decker, now Stanley Black & Decker. Porter-Cable is headquartered in Jackson, Tennessee. Manufacturing in the United States has mostly ceased; tools are now made primarily in Mexico and China. :x

So, tools from approximately 1960 thru 1981 and from 2004 et seq are consumer crap made tools. The good P-C tools are from 1906 to 1960, and from 1981 to 2004. The type I am asking about are within the good P-C tool mfg. dates . . . :wink:
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
diyer

Post by diyer »

BadDog wrote:For my part, not that I would know, but you would need to be more specific
There is nothing I can be more specific about. I got the information off the sanders.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Nice history. I was aware of some of it in a vague/general way, but certainly not so specific. But it seems my brain doesn't hold any answers to help since I still am not sure what you are asking about. Is it safe to assume that the topic is related to PC hand sanders? Thanks, and good luck.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
diyer

Post by diyer »

BadDog wrote:Nice history. I was aware of some of it in a vague/general way, but certainly not so specific. But it seems my brain doesn't hold any answers to help since I still am not sure what you are asking about. Is it safe to assume that the topic is related to PC hand sanders? Thanks, and good luck.

No, Belt Sanders.