Yellow Jackets hibernating

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

earlgo

Yellow Jackets hibernating

Post by earlgo »

It is starting to get colder here in NE Ohio so I am getting ready for fall and so are the &^%$!! yellow jacket wasps. A few years ago I was headed for some yard work, stopped in the garage, picked up my gloves and went out. When I put on the gloves, a miserable &^%!! yellow jacket had crawled into the end of a finger to spend the winter. :shock: Needless to say, it was a very painful experience for me and a fast send off for the &^%$!! yellow jacket.
So check your gloves before putting them on in the approaching colder weather. I surely do, now. A word to the wise, etc.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
warmstrong1955

Re: Yellow Jackets hibernating

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I feel your pain......

Our most abundant stingers here are European Paper wasps.
I have 4 of those Rain Train traveling water sprinklers. About two weeks ago, I picked up one, through the hole ion the top of the casting, to drag it & the hose back to the other side of the yard.
Felt something jabbing me in the fingers.
Appears they had converted the sprinkler into a mobile home.
Hitchiker.jpg
I checked the other sprinklers, and found another hitchhiker.
Other Hitchiker.jpg
I wear gloves when I move 'em now....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The problem when you squash a yellow jacket is that they release some kind of scent that tells all the other yellow jackets "Hey, someone just squished me. Make him PAY!".

Then all his friend come around looking for you.

It's like the insect version of "Assault on Precinct 13".

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

SteveM wrote:The problem when you squash a yellow jacket is that they release some kind of scent that tells all the other yellow jackets "Hey, someone just squished me. Make him PAY!".

Then all his friend come around looking for you.

It's like the insect version of "Assault on Precinct 13".
For some reason, I feel like I have to go to Ohio and attack some guy.

Being stung by anything is annoying, but it's especially annoying when they don't play fair. Hiding in a glove...that's just not right.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.