Matthew is on the Way

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Matthew is on the Way

Post by SteveHGraham »

Hope no one else is dealing with Hurricane Matthew today. I am projected to receive winds between 40 and 50 later today, but the up north of Palm Beach, they expect the full force of the storm.

Prayers appreciated.

My power may go out. I hope everyone will survive without my commentary.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
juiceclone

Re: Matthew is on the Way

Post by juiceclone »

yeah, were west of Boca,so it's not looking good. All buttoned up and waiting till the stuff starts to hit the fan then we have a friend's place to hunker down a mile away. Had $22,00 damages from wilma, 11 years ago, then the insurance prems went past the value of the house so we dropped it. gee.ya think that's what they wanted.
Welcome to Florida...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Man, I am sorry to hear that. Here, absolutely nothing has happened. They keep changing the forecast retroactively because they were wrong. I hope you have a similar experience.

We were supposed to have 40+ mph at noon, and we have 9 at 2:42 p.m.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Nearly six p.m., and still nothing. Light rain and a breeze.
spro

Post by spro »

It appears it will slam the coast and may not go far inland. Late news says it may ride the coast northward, go clockwise and slam again. I sure don't know but hope our friends here fare well.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's all done here. The forecasts were completely wrong. I've had worse weather on days when there were no hurricanes around.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Good to hear Steve, hope others on the eastern seaboard fare as well. :) :roll: Hasn't been a hurricane here in Idaho since I can't remember. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am watching from the Midwet, and I am relieved that the eye and the worst of the storm is staying offshore. it looks as if it may just blow on up the coast, and just give people headaches over electric service. A much smaller price to pay than the predicted 500 year storm.

Be thankfull for the limited damage thus far, rescueing safty from the jaws of destruction.. But it aint over just yet, with all the storm chasers telling us about the raindrops, and how wind works.....
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The TV people get annoying after a storm fails. They still have to earn their money, so they keep hyping the destruction. "Bob, this welcome mat is absolutely ruined. Unless the owner can dry it out in the sun. Back to you."
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Through the network of people we are in contact with, some freinds in Jacksonville sent a phone foto of a 4 foot shark in the flood waters right off her front porch. They describe the damage as light.

Another in SC is all battened down, and watching the clock. They live on a hill near a bay on the sea. They expect to weather well in the small hills they are nestled in..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I'm in Stuart (40 min drive North of West Palm Beach) and not much happened here. The power went off at 7:00 pm for no reason, so I went to sleep at 8:00 pm and didn't wake up until 6:00 am. I had to ask my wife if it ever got here.

Lit off my diesel generator at 7:00 am and the power came back on about 3:00 pm and it was business as usual.

I've seen more standing water after a summer afternoon thunder storm.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
spro

Post by spro »

It sooths my heart to know many of us were not damaged. If a hurricane could lift up and fall to another area, that would be something. Tornadoes do this all the time and there is massive destructive power available. It would seem that Tornadoes could be turned against an enemy. Nobody figured out how to reverse their spin, after all this time. Perhaps this will happen by other means and will violate the EPA and other multiple standards. This may be much worse than using our coal for affordable power-and the techs who know the process. But that doesn't matter when the intent was to bring a Nation to its knees.