tether car

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

tether car

Post by SteveM »

Can anyone identify this tether car (sometimes called a spindizzy)?

There are no names cast into the shell, only the number 5.
TetherCar (17).jpg
TetherCar (10).jpg
TetherCar (14).jpg
Steve
spro

Re: tether car

Post by spro »

I just think it is the neatest contraption I wish I saw. (as a child and way later). Can you describe the reason for that red ball ? I think it drops down as a braking device when the camber is out of whack. Probably wrong but it is neat anyway.
I bet there were kids who had these and they went more than dizzy. They probably got ideas from them, tuned things up and learned stuff.
Rex

Post by Rex »

I think this is it: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/384917099376126180/

"1940’s Matthews V Streamliner McCoy.60 Tether Car"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 1e9ef0.jpg

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Rex wrote:Image
Bingo!

Thanks, Rex.

I searched thru PILES of pictures and could not find one with the cylinder head exposed like this one.

Spro, I'm not sure what the ball is. I don't have it at my house, so I can't check.

Steve
rudd

Post by rudd »

If the ball is rubber, it would give some cushion to the front "suspension". I have to wonder it it isn't missing something that would keep the engine from sucking air (and grit) off the pavement right behind the rear wheels..
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

rudd wrote:If the ball is rubber, it would give some cushion to the front "suspension".
I think that is correct (actually, that's the REAR suspension - it's front-wheel drive).
rudd wrote:I have to wonder it it isn't missing something that would keep the engine from sucking air (and grit) off the pavement right behind the rear wheels..
Worse than that, with the motor in front, anything in the air is going to go straight in.

Steve