Poison sumac

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Poison sumac

Post by BadDog »

Ugh, that sounds awful, but so does the alternative. I've had exposure to poison oak/ivy (who that grew up in N AL hasn't?) along with attendant reaction, but nothing close to what is described here. Good luck! Hopefully you will soon put this behind you.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks so much Russ. My case is receding now but vengeance burns within. I would have set it afire. I would set the whole xxxxxxxx tree afire. I cannot because I know too much about it can harm others.
Insofar putting it behind me; not to be gross but it was getting there.
I traveled the woods in Tennessee. Built treehouses in the woods, rocking horses which were basically trees broken above the stumps. It comes back to me now. Us kids. We would cut the branches and bark off with whatever knives and one boy or girl brought a hatchet. We had fun bouncing those trees- very springy. We used to call them "horses" back then.
Going way back, I recall one of my little friends, a girl got a rash on her legs and was never there again. I did see her later and she said that her Dad and Mom said something like " Don't be in those woods with that nasty stuff" .
Good advise. I had no idea about poison ivy or losing a daughter then. It was innocence of youth bought by sacrifice and works before.
My Dad, among many Veterans at that time, were ready. If anyone harmed their child or a neighbor's child.....
Edit edit Nobody that I knew of or remember blew away a perp with a service firearm.
spro

Post by spro »

or any other.
spro

Post by spro »

Minor scars, blemish now. Nobody looking and that is good. I wonder about this stuff and what it excites in the system. I was losing it for awhile by even posting. even posting. Damn my ...so many wounded, recovering and dead. Why and how could I take up space except that the stuff is still there and You don't need it in your life. More susceptible with virgin skin are the enemies within the environment. That goes on. Some are green.
spro

Post by spro »

VFW,HHV, PVA,WWP,USO,DVA,Fisherhouse, more. So many more and to the Parents of their dead sons and daughters, poison ivy? Do you even, ..yes you do. How can it be an old guy mentions this aggravating situation. It is Nothing in comparison and I Know it!
Remember that things are not great now but Remember BEFORE . When OUR DEAR ONES Served They prevented countless enemies reaching the homeland. The aftermath became poison because the body was very sick for years.
There is nothing (those three words were probably said 30 million times) that I can say more than has been said.
I see the body healing now. I see the infection pressed closer to the surface as it erupts. It can be identified and eventually things set straight.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You need a big jug of Roundup.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

You should know I wasn't talking about poison Ivy in that post. The word "roundup" wouldn't be pc either.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Just FYI - Poison Ivy, Poison Sumac or Poison Oak and likely most contact dermatitis (itching) can be treated with something called Burows solution or Aluminum Acetate. I found this on the web just the other day, bought some and tried it for an itching problem on legs - takes a minute, but kills the itch enough so I can sleep.

good luck,
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks SteveR. I will keep this info. It is so deep into winter that this shouldn't be a concern but it is. This freaking poison vine doesn't kill you but sure reduces ones' maximum ability. The large vines I hatcheted are growing like nothing happened over that tree. The tree and bark are part of this now. I was removing some climbing "Virginia creeper" dead vines about 40' away and where the thorns penetrated my gloves, there was a reaction. All these vines are poison although dormant.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

SteveHGraham wrote:You need a big jug of Roundup.
We had a patch in the back of the yard, and I had to saturate it with Roundup two or three times to reduce it to dead, dried out leaves. Someone told me Ortho works better, but the ivy was still pretty resilient. It didn't come back.
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Just an FYI, the old farmers treatment for stumps and willow that regrow, is to give it a squirt of diesel fuel. It is not environmentally friendly, and that is the point. It kills anything it contacts. Especially good on vines and ivy, a very light spray will kill back the leaves, and stress the plant for a more general clearance killer, like roundup. Roundup has a very short effective life, and therefore does not wash into areas that are to be grown, or seeded soon.

If your weed killer is oily based, an ounce per gallon of spray will multiply the total killing power by several factors, without ground contamination. Diesel fuel will be digested by various environmental bugs if not flooded. Stored diesel must be kept water free, or it will grow filter blocking algae. Ask me how I know that one.

This spring I have to invest in a coupla contaniers of Preen, used for general weeding at pre-emergance. I will ignore established perennials. I missed last year, and god jungle instead of flowering greens.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.