Poison sumac

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Poison sumac

Post by spro »

Nels. Some months ago I almost had a contract on topping a large tree. A young fellow was ready to cut it . My chainsaw is fine but I told him it wasn't. That tree is from an adjoining lot and grows over my property. It has been trouble for decades and the owner of that property happens to be xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. These people can make one's life miserable in many ways and don't even start asking. Don't even try to have a dialogue to share the cost. It is all on me or whoever this hell is rained upon. There are different stages of hell when they want your property.
The young fellow was ready to top it but it couldn't be this way. It was too likely he would infected. I have probably spent $3000.00 over the years due to one tree I don't own.
Last edited by spro on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
spro

Post by spro »

So what does a tree mean to this discussion? This is a much huger tree than it appears. The poison ivy stalks, climbing the trunk I chopped were near 1" dia years ago. I got poison ivy by touching the axe head. There is a mother root which extends underground. It comes up in different vines.
Somewhere on the net, which I' m itching to find again, there is mention about old, well established poison ivy. This stuff poisons the other ivy or it is "frankin ivy" and looks like benign stuff-but isn't.
spro

Post by spro »

For the love of Mic (!) this cannot stand on the Junk Drawer.
spro

Post by spro »

As insipid as this thread may appear, if you see my arms they look like a burn victim. The rash is subsiding only because many skin cells have to be rebuilt. It isn't good at my age or any, really. They key is when thorns penetrate a vein and a person is susceptible years later. I did spray RM43 Total, on the climbing vines and the growth above. This is concentrated and I did 1:10 . Even with that and safety glasses, blow back was noticeable on my skin. This stuff is poison to kill poison.
It had been two days and the leaves of these vines were the only green leaves on the tree. More that that, they were particularly "shiny" and that is a clue. The oil they emit was going overtime to prevent the poison from penetration. That's all fine but it was supposed to rain. It isn't so something else, like bleach to disturb it. Then i'll come back with a higher concentration.
Something interesting to know: The huge vines I'd cut sections from, continued because the bark of the tree became a conduit. Thousands, if not millions of the tiny clawing finger thorns had turned the bark into a large vine. Looking right at a hacked away vine of 1 1/2" with 12-14" separation, didn't matter.
spro

Post by spro »

It didn't matter. The vines and the leaves were growing fine out of the same cut stalk, 14" away from separation and laughing at the attempt. It takes some years to root out poison as this.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Doesn't sound like a fun experience, Spro. Hope you're doing better soon!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks Harold. This whole topic can go away but maybe it alerted somebody about hairy vines on old trees. It isn't always "leaves of three" which is really aggravating.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Might try mixing some Grease cutting detergent in the mix to help cutting through the oil. Dawn was recommended some where on the Internet.
spro

Post by spro »

Good point. I was considering bleach for the same reason. My post was a little confusing because this bout started 26' away and at the opposite corner of the garage. Towards the end of weed wacking, one glove was off while I was pulling out one vine. The vine cut between two fingers and blisters appeared there first. It just looked like English climbing ivy but must be from the tree source.
I doused the one that cut me and others there with Gumout carb cleaner. They disintegrated quickly but the plastic siding warped too.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote:Thanks Harold. This whole topic can go away but maybe it alerted somebody about hairy vines on old trees.
Exactly why it shouldn't, and won't, go away. Topics of general interest that are not controversial to the point of being divisive are always welcome (in the Junk Drawer), especially when they provide good and useful information, as this thread has.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Bleach works, but it burns like heck. I scrubbed with bleach and also with alcohol to remove the urushiol oils.
I open the wound up and make it run and scrub the area to remove the oils. It hurts, and it will leave scars, but it does provide relief.
The area scabs over and dries up.
Last edited by Nelson on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12
spro

Post by spro »

Good info, Nels. I was going to let it stand this way but minutes ago, it changed. I inspected the area between my fingers which had been blisters, scabs and finally, healing. There was a spec which was a tiny thorn. I dug it out which drew blood. These slivers becomes systemic poison and trigger the system to increased sensitivity.
So I agree with you. Wash the oils and scrub the skin. Once the skin is blistered it too late, for below some blisters is the problem (in my case). I'm going to find certain scrub brushes with natural bristles . Their fibers should grab the poison thorns. I will buy many of them and keep one stocked in each vehicle or place.