Pool table leather pocket installation

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Pool table leather pocket installation

Post by Harold_V »

Hey, all!
My sad story is that in '84, I purchased a new pool table. Events lead to the table never being assembled, but I am now pleased to report that it was recently installed and covered (and only 32 years later!), but I've hit a wall. Maybe someone here has some experience and can lend some advice.

The pockets are leather, and have a gold fringe on the outside. Insider there's an affixed flap of leather that surrounds the upper area of the pocket, that can be installed two different ways. One of them would be to trap the ends under the rails, the other to attach to the face of the hole, although that would require it to be bonded, as the face of the hole is covered with felt, and the hole is in the 1" slate, so stapling or other types of fastening wouldn't work.

Both methods seem to make a little sense, although for one experienced in table assembly that may not be the case. My lack of knowledge of proper installation is exceeded only by my lack of skill as a player. I am clearly out of my element.

If picture would help, that's no problem.

Anyone?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Re: Pool table leather pocket installation

Post by BadDog »

Mine was delivered and assembled as part of the deal, and hired table movers when we moved, so no experience myself. The table sounds very similar including the 1" slate and leather pockets with tassels and leather flap, but not sure on the assembly details though.

If you don't have an answer by tonight, I'll go take a look at mine to see it it matches your description close enough to provide an answer, and some pics. I've been needing to take one pocket apart for a while anyway. After we moved here, the movers apparently didn't get it right and after a bit of vigorous play including a few place "with authority", one of the pockets has opened up between it and the rail, so I have to go into it anyway, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I hereby cede the procrastination crown to Harold.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Ok, after looking at mine, I'm not sure it matches your description. On mine there is a slate side flap(?) that is secured underneath the slate on the bottom of wood flange underneath the slate. Each side keys into the rail somehow (didn't completely remove) and the main pocket body is located precisely along the rail by some ~1/2" dowel pins.

I loosened my rails on 3 sides to get that center pocket refitted, and made it better, but it's still not right. But too late tonight to take it on apart, particularly after noticing just how much dust has deposited in the hidden nooks and crannies. So sometime this weekend I'll likely strip it to the table, clean out the dust, and see if I can't get everything relocated, refitted, and square. It's getting close to needing new felt, but mine has what's known as "speed felt" (among other names), which is not cheap by any means. May go with a regular good grade of felt this time. Since my son moved out, I almost never play.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've given my situation considerable thought and think I have a sense of direction. The video one finds on youtube suggests some things that clearly are not right, so following the advice tendered in that medium isn't in my best interest. If he's wrong about one thing, he's likely wrong about another, and the two issues are closely related.

I realize how arrogant this may sound, but I've had one experience at the hands of an "expert" that ended up a disaster. It relates to the roof drains I required for the castle, and how they were installed (by the roofer). I told him I didn't like what he'd done, but his reply was "we always do them like that". The resulting leaks and damage to the drywall tend to support my position that he "always" does them wrong. Unfortunately, the leaks developed a few years later, and he was no longer around.

Assuming your table is built similar to mine (they seem to be built to some standard), the dowels you speak of will have some large flat head screws which hold them captive in the rails. The dowels are part of a cast aluminum framework. To draw them tight, the holes are located such that when the large screws are tightened, it pulls the pocket towards the rail. You can see the screws only when the rails have been removed from the table, by the way. Note that older pockets have what appears to be cast iron instead of aluminum. They work pretty much the same way, but have a different appearance.

Covering the table and rails isn't all that difficult, but it's very intimidating if you've never done one. The worst part is the side pockets, as it's difficult to get the felt to wrap the hole without distorting excessively. The resulting puckers are then removed when you stretch the fabric and staple. Now that I've been there, done that, I wouldn't hesitate to do another.

Thanks for your consideration.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Don't get in a hurry. You may want to sit back and think it over for another thirty years.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Harold, When is the pool party? Might have to make a special trip back to Wa. :lol:

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:Don't get in a hurry. You may want to sit back and think it over for another thirty years.
I was going to do that, but I'm not convinced a guy who's 107 years old will have much interest (or ability) to knock the balls around.
I'd like to say shoot a game of pool, but that's already beyond my capability, but I fully intend to knock a few balls around in the near future, all the while sipping a scotch and water and listening to some Brubeck. We built, for us, what can be described as the perfect rec room. Even has a wet bar that can seat 8. 8)

Jack, for you, any time you care to pay a visit to Washington, the party is on. We even have a bedroom for you, with its own bath. You and Dawn are always welcome in our lives.

Harold
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's a good thing you're a machinist. You know how to use a precision level.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Harold for the gracious invite. :) :) Dawn and I will put that on our todo list.

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I take it that the table is now complete, you having to puzzle through a few details. I learned cabinetry from my dad, that there is a way that is best, and other ways that work, and things you never sacrifice quality to. 'The Devil Is In The Details' he would say, and those details are not always apparent. Bet they are the difference between success and failure, heirloom quality, or junk stuck together. Sometimes an Orange crate stacked with another is good enough, but you decide. When it comes to roofing, it is something I really enjoyed, because of the money I saved and made doing it.Then there are the horror stories I got hooked into, that really taught me about doing it wrong and slips in thinking.

My favorite story is the guy that called in a panic. The whole one side of his garage roof blew of into the yard overnite. He told me that he and a friend had just put the roof on last week, and didnt know what to do. So I rushed over, and sure enough, all the roofing was scattered next to the garage. In looking it over, I couldnt find one nail, in all those shingles. So I asked him, what he nailed it all down with. "Nails?' was his dumbstruck answer...' They are self sealing shingles arent they?'

They say you cant fix stupid, but we got most of that side done that day, and his friend helped him get the rest picked up and properly applied. I still chuckle to this day over that one. Like the boss of the sod crew yelling 'green side up' every now and then...
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! The table is complete, and I'm amazed at the fact that both Susan and I are now making shots that once were considered impossible (for us). We generally spend an hour each night knocking the balls around. Susan tends to be better at this than I am.

I've made no secret of my love for music, especially the work of Dave Brubeck. We put a CD on and enjoy the music while taking shots. A great way to spend time with Susan, even if she out shoots me! :lol:

Harold