Stripped Screw Holes in Plastic

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Stripped Screw Holes in Plastic

Post by SteveHGraham »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I searched 'Steve Graham cleaning his concrete floor' on the interweb, and there it was!

;)
I should have recognized myself, because my body looks exactly like that.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Back to the screw in plastic, Depending on what plastic it is you can drop some cyno (super glue) in the hole and run your screw in lightly.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Used in small quantities and with proper respect gasoline is just as safe as any other volatile flammable solvent.
To assume that others know and understand that isn't in keeping with reality, nor good practice. Gasoline is responsible for the misery and death of many, some of whom figured they were different, that, somehow, they were exempt. I would be derelict in my duties as a moderator were I to allow your (reckless) comment to go unchallenged.

Lack of knowledge and understanding is often responsible for individuals making less than acceptable decisions. Without your suggestion being contested, it's entirely possible that some unsuspecting individual might leave their container of gasoline open while using "just a little" to clean the mess they've created, which may be in the same room as their natural gas fired water heater. Need I say more?

While gasoline may behave as a solvent, it is produced for the express purpose of being used as a fuel. The properties it displays make it VERY undesirable for use as a cleaner. That's the point.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Yeah,
You have to baby everyone, assume they have no common sense, general knowledge or sense of self-preservation and not make any recommendations with any scope for an absolute ignoramus to do themselves or others any damage.

My personal thoughts on this are that if you don't know enough about it to know you're doing it safely you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

On the other hand there are so many people these days who's default world view is "Why wouldn't I be able to do that" despite having no applicable knowledge then perhaps Harold is right.

Quick, sell all your machines without interlocked safety guards, you might hurt yourself! I'm off out to bust up all my dangerous manual machines before anyone is mashed or killed!

:D

- Nick
NP317

Post by NP317 »

As "extreme" as Harold's cautions might seem, he does a service to the participants here.
If just ONE person learns useful safe handling of a volatile liquid, then Job Well Done.
This Forum is all about sharing and learning, regardless of one's level of knowledge.

I say the having taught college Engineering students proper shop practices. I found it necessary to assume that many students lacked "practical knowledge",
which was invariably true.
Thank you, Harold.
~Russ N.