Stripped Screw Holes in Plastic

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Stripped Screw Holes in Plastic

Post by John Hasler »

Gasoline is a very effective solvent for Goop.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks.

Now...what's a good solvent for Goop you burned onto your garage floor with a torch?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote:Gasoline is a very effective solvent for Goop.
That may be true, but it's reckless to make such a recommendation. The number of people who have used gasoline as a solvent and paid with their lives is much greater than it had to be. There are other solvents that can be used safely.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> That may be true, but it's reckless to make such a recommendation. The number of people who have used gasoline as a solvent and paid with their lives is much greater than it had to be.

I assume that the people on this forum are not fools. Many things we do are potentially dangerous. Gasoline can be safely used as a solvent just as other flammable solvents can.

> There are other solvents that can be used safely.

What are they?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote: What are they?
How about safety solvent, like the kind you use in a solvent tank? That's what I use. Low flash point.
No way I'll use gasoline.

I know many people who have used gasoline for cleaning parts. I know a couple who were severely burned, one on the face & neck, besides his arms and chest.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

I use Stoddard solvent only. In my locale the use of gasoline is foolhardy. Our climate in the winter is cold and can be dry which sets up perfect conditions for static electricity buildup and discharge. If we have to drain avgas out of an airplane into any kind of a plastic container we will use a metal rod placed into the plastic container and then grounded to the airplane. This at least puts both the airplane and the plastic container at the same electrical potential. We had a horrible accident at our airport which resulted from a mechanics son who did not follow this procedure. I have to buy my solvent from a local mechanic who has to buy it in 55 gallon barrels. Ideally, metal storage containers should be used but good luck finding them for purchase in your local hardware or outdoor store.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I wonder if brake part cleaner would move this stuff.

Now that I think about it, I have some chemical paint stripper.

Gasoline sounds more exciting, though.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

EOsteam wrote: Ideally, metal storage containers should be used but good luck finding them for purchase in your local hardware or outdoor store.
Same thing I found. Hardware stores, including the biggies, don't have 5 gallon containers other than plastic. Last time I needed a bunch of metal containers for a job I was on, I had to order them from McMaster Carr.

I get my my solvent at one of our local auto parts stores. Mostly mineral spirits, naptha, or stoddard solvent, whatever you what to call it.
It comes in a 5 gallon steel can, which as you say, is important. The stuff will cause plastic cans to harden up and crack over time. (ask me how I know)

Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:
Gasoline sounds more exciting, though.
Planning on changing your avatar to 'The Human Torch'?
Human torch.PNG
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Where did you get that picture? You didn't buy a turkey fryer this year did you?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Where did you get that picture? You didn't buy a turkey fryer this year did you?
I searched 'Steve Graham cleaning his concrete floor' on the interweb, and there it was!

;)
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

The subject is dried Goop adhesive. Very few solvents work on it. Gasoline does. The people who set themselves on fire with gasoline are always using it in large quantities and treating it like water. When mishandled that way acetone is equally dangerous if not more so. Used in small quantities and with proper respect gasoline is just as safe as any other volatile flammable solvent.