cold weather work gloves

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

cold weather work gloves

Post by SteveM »

I have a friend who is in college. He walks on crutches. Not the kind you use when you have a broken leg, but the ones with the thing that wraps around your arm.
crutch.jpg
crutch.jpg (2.83 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
He needs to do a lot of walking to get to / from class, and his hands are getting cold.

He needs gloves with enough grip and dexterity to grab the crutches, but warm enough that his hands won't freeze.

I'm thinking that there must be something in a work glove that would do the job.

Any of you have anything you would recommend?

Steve
JackF

Re: cold weather work gloves

Post by JackF »

I would think a pair of ski gloves would work. They allow to grip the ski poles just fine. :)

Jack.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I don't know if work gloves, but perhaps some leather driving gloves, or some motorcycle gloves without armor.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
STRR

Post by STRR »

Steve,

Check out Chilli Grip gloves. I may have the spelling wrong but you'll find them. They are cold weather work gloves with the grippy stuff on the fingers and palms.

Good Luck,
Terry
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

IMHO there are gloves made after diving gloves that are neoprene with nylon covering. They offer grip, and second skin feel, and are quite warm. Probably in the 10 dollar range for cost, but better than the mechanics gloves that are popular now. Most big box lumber stores carry these as they are becoming standard for outdoor work.

I have some good gloves, and then a set of Jerseys in every pocket of every coat and jacket this time of year.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

A good combination is two types of gloves. There are very thin "Thinsulate" mechanics' black gloves which are good but mittens for really cold. I like those mittens which open up and fold backwards. The mitten cap for the fingers, swing back to Velcro attach. Then if you have the thin ones underneath, have good finger dexterity.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I have a pair of work gloves that are suitable for working on ski lifts in VT. They are what he needs. To be effective the gloves need to go on and off easily, they need to breathe, they need to be soft enough that one can feel what is being held. I ski all the time and I don't thing ski gloves would work for the application. When skiing the hands don't work hard and they mostly don't sweat. On crutches the hands probably work and thus the gloves need to breathe. I have used my work gloves for a couple of years so I need a new pair. Tomorrow I will go to the local hardware store and buy a replacements. Tomorrow I will respond with the brand and type information

Tom
spro

Post by spro »

Super TomB ! we are narrowing this down. I won't say more until after you post.
STRR

Post by STRR »

Sorry about the spelling above. It's Chilly Grip by Red Steer. Many to choose from. Look at two pages along with all the other work type gloves.

http://www.redsteer.com/chillygrip.htm

Good Luck,
Terry
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tom's Work Gloves: Sorry I did not get to respond yesterday. I bought a new pair of gloves today that are almost identical to my old work gloves. Unlike my work gloves the new pair is a soft smooth leather and they might not hold up to oil and grease as well but that is not what the originator is asking for. These might be better for the described usage. What I discovered today while shopping is that key property to selecting the glove is softness and flexibility. From usage I know the the key to wearing them for an extended time is warmth and breath-abilty. These meet all 4 criteria. Note they also come in womens sizes and my SO will not part with her new gloves.

The brand is Kinco and they are described as "cold weather Deerskin Leather" with something called "Heatkeep" Thermal Insulation". My old gloves had something called "Thinsulate Insulation" but both gloves feel the same on my hand. I think you can find these type gloves at farm or equipment stores. I got mine at the local ACE hardware but this is ski town where snow and cold weather is a normal working conditions. They are not cheap. I paid just under $30 per pair but Amazon or some other online source could be cheaper.

I also got thinking about ski gloves as an alternative. I've been a skier all my live and a Ski Patroller for the 20 years that ended last year. Ski gloves are much stiffer than these work gloves. I always had to remove the ski gloves when I was working around the patient. But ski gloves are not as comfortably warm. I always found my hand was warm but damp. On cold days I always wore ski mittens.

If it is raining tomorrow morning I will take a picture of the gloves and label then post it.

Tom
KnuckleBarker

Post by KnuckleBarker »

Round these parts (SW Minnesota, -29 last night), a popular choice is mittens. I've got a pair of Carhardts that are very warm and grippy, with the essential "nose wipe panel."