Cloning hard drive

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Cloning hard drive

Post by BadDog »

My process is quite similar to ctwo, differentiated only in the details. For instance, all my data on drive D is in D:\data, so everything is backed up to external eSATA drive(s) using that single node. I also have scripts that move "current" work from the system drives to the appropriate place in D:\data\, and from there to the externals. Certain irreplaceable stuff like family pictures also get copied to "the cloud". I'll also mention that you can have more than one of the system/personal folders like Documents, Downloads, etc, and you can move any of them anywhere you like, including another drive. So if you really wanted to use the quick nav bars and such, and also have them all tracked/isolated by logged on user, that is also possible, but not necessary. You can also use the native security setting to set folders so only you have access, and store your files there. Other folks logged in won't be able to access your files (unless you let them have admin access, then all bets are off if they know what they are doing). Lots of options. But like machining, you have to learn the skills to be productive.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have the ability to deal with having stuff stored in other locations, but the rest of the family needs to have all of the original setup retained, otherwise I get calls at work during the day to do "tech support".

If I lose any of the wife's pictures, you folks are all going to wonder why there are no more posts from me (and it's not going to be a hardware problem). :-)

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

You really need a backup so a second drive, even an external USB drive is almost essential. I would just archive stuff to make room. Have you run disk cleanup utility? right click the drive letter and select Properties from the pop-up, Disk Cleanup is there on the General tab. Sometimes you can recover GBs.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Just turned the office PC on. So nice to see it boot right up instead of having to go make coffee. I love my SSD.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You switch yours off?

I start mine when they come out of the box and that's it for the rest of it's life.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, me too. I may reboot for some reason maybe twice a month, but they are on 24/7. But then again, I use mine all day, and often work at odd times in the night. Basically, it's ready to start any time I sit down.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I used to leave them on all the time, but then I figured out what that cost me. Did a little measuring.
Comes out to around $250 a year in energy costs.

So, after some messing around, mine now sleep, with exception of my shop computer, when is old and an energy hog....so it gets shut off.
Surprising what a pain it was to get them to sleep, instead of remaining on all the time. Should be easy.....it wasn't.....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I used to leave them on all the time, but then I figured out what that cost me. Did a little measuring. Comes out to around $250 a year in energy costs.
I just did the math and figured that each of my four cable boxes is costing me $60 per year.

No wonder the bill didn't go down after switching to LED light bulbs.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Warren Buffet bought Nevada Power.....and rates went nuts.
So....since it's not like changing gas stations, I set about looking for ways not to give my money to people I don't like.

I bought a couple Kill-A-Watt meters, and started measuring & recording things. Found out our computers eat a lot more power than our refrigerator.
When you start adding computers and monitors, printers, routers and all the other stuff....it's a bunch. So.....they take a nap, or they get shut down.

You might surprised how much energy a lot of stuff draws when it's off. Turns out, it's not really off.....lies lies lies....
A watt here...a watt there.....some was several watts here & several watts there.
Made some changes, and cut our power bill to a bit over a third of what it was.

:)
Bill
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

A friend bought his first house and noticed the electric meter spinning, even though he thought nothing was on.

He went room to room unplugging everything he could find and it was still spinning.

Turned out he had never considered the electric use by the heater in his waterbed.

I picked up one of those Kill-A-Watt gizmos at a garage sale for a couple of buck. I need to test some stuff.
warmstrong1955 wrote:You might surprised how much energy a lot of stuff draws when it's off. Turns out, it's not really off.....lies lies lies....
Yes, a LOT of stuff never shuts off.

I was at a meeting where someone was talking about electric usage and he said to put timers on things so that they shut off when you are not using them, but then the TIMERS use electricity (probably less).

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveM wrote: I was at a meeting where someone was talking about electric usage and he said to put timers on things so that they shut off when you are not using them, but then the TIMERS use electricity (probably less).
Steve
I have a couple of timers that we use, for some lights, when we go out of town now & then.
They each draw 2.3 watts, with nothing plugged into 'em!

I would guess that some newer models are more effecient, but ain't nuthin' for nuthin' .

Bill
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"