Grip Strength

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

Grip Strength

Post by ctwo »

I heard a couple times now a study into our population's grip strength. Naturally, it has been decreasing generation over generation, but a significant amount - 20%!

The implications of grip strength are also interesting. Perhaps you recall a Doctor asking you to squeeze their fingers? It has been established that general health, resistance to disease, recovery, and longevity are all related to grip strength and that is a great predictor. Hospitals use grip strength as a measure of your likelihood of a vital discharge as it has been shown to have a direct correlation.

So, if you have grown kids, check out their grip strength.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Re: Grip Strength

Post by SteveHGraham »

I really hope I never have a vital discharge.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> Perhaps you recall a Doctor asking you to squeeze their fingers?

My physician knows better than that.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ctwo wrote:Hospitals use grip strength as a measure of your likelihood of a vital discharge as it has been shown to have a direct correlation.
What, pray tell, is a "vital discharge?" Is that where all your blood is ejected from your mouth after you eat a Slopper at Booger King?

As for hospitals supposedly checking grip strength, I was recently released from the hospital after a five day stay and no one checked my grip. They mostly kept checking for signs of life.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"They mostly kept checking for signs of life."

Did they find any?
~RN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote:"They mostly kept checking for signs of life."

Did they find any?
~RN
Evidently, since the elevator stopped at the main lobby instead of down in the basement. :lol:
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
ctwo wrote:Hospitals use grip strength as a measure of your likelihood of a vital discharge as it has been shown to have a direct correlation.
What, pray tell, is a "vital discharge?" Is that where all your blood is ejected from your mouth after you eat a Slopper at Booger King?

As for hospitals supposedly checking grip strength, I was recently released from the hospital after a five day stay and no one checked my grip. They mostly kept checking for signs of life.
I think hospitals do not keep dead people around for very long, so discharge is live or dead.

This is the formal study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26869476
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

I believe the main purpose for the grip test is to see if us single guys have a better grip than the married ones.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

toolroom wrote:I believe the main purpose for the grip test is to see if us single guys have a better grip than the married ones.
In the old days, single guys were more likely to get a grip on themselves than their married counterparts. :wink: