How Aggravating is it to Care for Unimproved Pasture?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: How Aggravating is it to Care for Unimproved Pasture?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Now I'm wondering if a small tractor can be used to move machine tools.
Depends on how small you are talking.
There are lots of fork attachments, both OEM & aftermarket, that are available.
Some pin on like the bucket, some tractors have quick attach hitches so the front bucket or forks or whatevercan be changed easily, and some forks can be used with on existing bucket, by welding on hooks. Just a matter of capacity, and what you need to lift.

And....they will mow too, among other things. :)

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Exactly. How big a machine, how small a tractor.

You just have to look at the ratings and figure in the extra leverage if you add forks and the like. I move stuff way to big for me to move by hand using forks on my Kubota B2150. But the weight limit close to the bucket is around 600 lbs, a bit more if I replaced the bucket with a dedicated fork frame to reduce the leverage against the loader arms. The 3 point capacity is around (a disappointing) 1000 lbs, but most tractors of it's size go considerably higher on the 3 point. But still, you hang a gin-pole off the back and the leverage lowers your capacity rapidly. But you'll most likely be looking at something bigger than a B2150 (probably an L or M in the Kubota line, or comparable), so you'll just have to check the specs to see what it will do. But with my just over 1 acre lot, the B2150 is a rather large tractor for this property, and a B7100 (or the like) is really more appropriately sized. But much like machine tools, because of the demand for smaller "hobby" units, you can often get considerably more tractor in better shape for the money by shopping larger. My more capable B2150 came with a fairly substantial backhoe and a nice selection of equipment for less than a comparable (and considerably older) bare B7100 would cost, though unlike the B7100 it won't fit through a common man gate (not a problem on this property). So there are a LOT of things to consider.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I suppose what I would really need would be a pallet jack, to move stuff around the shop. My lathe is 4000 pounds, and I would not really need to carry it around the property.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I suppose what I would really need would be a pallet jack, to move stuff around the shop. My lathe is 4000 pounds, and I would not really need to carry it around the property.
When the big move comes, hire someone to move it, or rent a trailer and a forklift....and find a few friends :)

I bought this beasty: Hi-rise Oklahoma-Poor-Man's-Forklift. Just a pallet jack that will lift 5 feet.
100_4085.jpg
Works well for moving heavy things to the mill table too.
100_1870.jpg
Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I will be moving around 270 miles, so I will not be ferrying machines to the new place by tractor.

That Jet lift thing reminds me of the Genie Lift I have rusting behind my house. I should Craigslist that thing.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I will be moving around 270 miles, so I will not be ferrying machines to the new place by tractor.

That Jet lift thing reminds me of the Genie Lift I have rusting behind my house. I should Craigslist that thing.
Well....I didn't think you would be moving with the tractor, just loading and/or unloading. :)

Maybe you should dig out the Genie, and clean it up! We sold Genie equipment when I was in Alaska, including the manual lifters like what you maybe have.
Or sell it, and get a conventional pallet jack. You'd look better on a motorized one though....with a cup holder and a hook to hang your bottle opener! :)
Genie's were not bad little rigs. Never had a warranty with one....always a good sign. I bought my Jet, also good, by price. Big discount, and pre-paid freight straight from Jet in Tenn.

Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I put the Genie on Craigslist years ago, for $300. No one wanted it! It cost something like $1800 new.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I put the Genie on Craigslist years ago, for $300. No one wanted it! It cost something like $1800 new.
Go figure! :?
My lift is handier than a front shirt pocket. It's been a good investment, and a back saver.
100_2220.jpg
Bill
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Think medium to large tractor to move equipment, or look for a used forklift. My small Kubota has a front lifting capacity of 500# which hardly starts to touch the stuff. The large Kubota at the RR museum will lift 1700# which is still inadequate for medium to large tools.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Here in Oregon we just brush hog the field once the grass has gone to seed and dried up. It stays dry enough until fall that the grass stays dormant until the rains come. Then it starts to grow again, but doesn't get but a few inches tall before the cold weather and the grass stops it growing until spring.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

around here, in NW Indiana, dry grass near buildings is a no -no. Grass fires are a great danger here in early spring, before the green up, and in dry late fall. It is the reason we mow twice a year to keep things down.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have a John Deere 4200 for the mowing and snow blowing. Its lift capacity with the forks is only about 800lbs, but I can borrow my neighbors JD which will just lift 2000lbs. But the bigger tractor can't get into places where the small tractor can and it is too heavy to mow the lawn with.
If I need more, I have a 4000lb capacity Hyster fork lift. Got it cheap and it has been more than worth having it around.