Liability

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Liability

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Long ago, my Dad built a playhouse for my sisters. Probably about 4' x 5', just 2 x 4's & plywood, and painted up like you would expect. I was the project assistant..... ;)
Well...a building inspector saw it, our neighbor. Wanted to see the permit, which of course, there wasn't one. Who needs a permit for a playhouse? He proceeded to tell my Dad, that the playhouse had to be torn down, and if he wanted to build one, a permit would be required, and approval, prior to any construction.

I remember going to the hardware sore with my Dad, and buying some wheels. We got back, he built an axle, we picked the thing up with jacks, and installed the new parts, along with a trailer hitch. Then he towed it along side the garage just off the driveway.

Inspector was quite unhappy. I learned some new words.....
Nothing he could do.....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I think I would like your dad. :lol: There is little worse than having jackass neighbors.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

BadDog wrote:I think I would like your dad. :lol: There is little worse than having jackass neighbors.
:)
Especially jackass neighbors with a little bit of 'power'.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I just realized that even making little trinkets is risky. What if some toddler tried to swallow one and choked? If only I lived in China, I'd be immune from such worry.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

In China, you could make good money selling trinkets that choke baby girls.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Here in Portugal, there isn't much worry about lawsuits; the courts are so utterly dysfunctional, that no one succeeds in litigation of any kind.
Makes contracts practically useless though.

On the other hand, I can't build a doghouse without a permit, and there are absolutely, totally, completely no permits to be had, ever never. Existing structures only, no new buildings.
[That are visible from the road...]
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

LIALLEGHENY wrote:They may not take you alive, but your family won't be left with anything either.

State laws will dictate what kind of home based business you can and can't have. As long as you don't have big trucks showing up dropping of material, crates, what have you, you probably won't have any problems. Anyone questions your machines....it's your hobby. Just protect yourself....LLC , or S-corp.

Nyle
An LLC is better for a mom-and-pop style business. An S-corporation carries administrative burdens over and above an LLC. You would organize an S-corp if more than one individual is a principle and is not immediate family. My business is an LLC.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote:On the other hand, I can't build a doghouse without a permit, and there are absolutely, totally, completely no permits to be had, ever never.
Dogs everywhere in Portugal must be mighty annoyed about not being allowed to be homeowners. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Dogs everywhere in Portugal must be mighty annoyed about not being allowed to be homeowners. :shock:

I'm bettin' they can be.
It just costs 'em a tail and a paw, and 42 years (7 people years) to get a permit....and maybe a pallet of Alpo and a 47 bags of Snausages.

;)
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Today's liability project : Repair a Corvair steering box going on a hot rod a friend of mine is building. Bushing area of sector shaft rust pitted and when cleaned up about .0025 undersize. Fit replacement bushing to size ,Nope replacement bushing is a precision style that normally needs no sizing and for sure will still be too loose on shaft. Fix: clean up shaft on my B&S OD grinder and make a custom bushing to fit.
Yesterday's little job was repair a '40 Plymouth column shifter ,lots of slop where shift arm fits on bottom end of column rod. A bit of welding and mill work followed by file to fit. Not much liability there.
Attachments
corvair box 001.JPG
corvair box 004.JPG
www.chaski.com
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

John Evans wrote:Today's liability project : Repair a Corvair steering box going on a hot rod a friend of mine is building. Bushing area of sector shaft rust pitted and when cleaned up about .0025 undersize. Fit replacement bushing to size ,Nope replacement bushing is a precision style that normally needs no sizing and for sure will still be too loose on shaft. Fix: clean up shaft on my B&S OD grinder and make a custom bushing to fit.
Yesterday's little job was repair a '40 Plymouth column shifter ,lots of slop where shift arm fits on bottom end of column rod. A bit of welding and mill work followed by file to fit. Not much liability there.
You could have just said "we don't need no stinking liability insurance!" and have made the same point with the same validity, you don't need liability insurance as long as no-one takes action against you and if you can be sure that they won't then you are a lucky man and can just get on with it ;-)
RSG

Post by RSG »

Magicniner wrote: you don't need liability insurance as long as no-one takes action against you and if you can be sure that they won't then you are a lucky man and can just get on with it ;-)
LOL, that's funny! When I'm down visiting my parents in Florida every other commercial on TV is from a Lawyer looking for an opportunity.....todays society looks for that "quick fix payout". Used to be car accidents and other big ticket items, now, my child better not swallow that widget your company made or we're off to see the judge!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.