LED Lights in a Workshop

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

Re: LED Lights in a Workshop

Post by ctwo »

John Hasler wrote:The thermal cutout in the ballaslt would open up if it overheated. They can keep on making that racket for a long time, though.
Go with the LEDs.
It was getting loud, more than a car horn in a closed garage loud. I ran out and back in to shut off the switch.

I like LEDs. I installed 8 screw in replacements in one room after disabling the dimmer, which seems like it's on every circuit in this house. I've noticed these bulbs started to hum, just a bit higher pitched than the normal 60 hz hum though. It stops after they warm up a bit. I have 4 more for another room that are dimmable (yay). The rest of the house has these 4-pin, no ballast bulbs that are crazy expensive and don't last. Those will be new fixtures and getting into the wiring to find the ballasts. Worst light design I've ever seen.

I was looking at these for the garage, $7ea: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/19179 ... 019CS.html
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Before you over buy; I am using only one LED bulb per fixture and getting as much light as I did from the two fluorescent tubes. I am using a very bright high output tube sold in six packs via Amazon, about $10 each.

There is an app for smart phones that makes it a light meter if you want numbers for comparison.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I bought two 100-watt LED lights, portable, on a stand, to use in my workshop. Not 100-watt equivalent, 100 watts. They are really bright, even for these old eyes of mine. I was tacking some parts together and when I turned my helmeted face toward the lights the auto-darkening triggered. Had to shut them off until I was done welding.

I have florescent (bulbs and tube style) in the house and workshop, and I intend to replace them all with LEDs. Being the offspring of two depression era parents, I won't be doing this until the present ones stop functioning. This also meets the criteria for pleasing my procrastination gene. :)

- Wes
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I equipped my new 6-car-sized garage/shop entirely with new LED tube lighting.
Astounding results: Bright light, no buzzing, instant on, no flicker even at low temperatures, and low electric usage.
Best decision ever! I have two circuits that split the lighting into halves in the building.

COSTCO sells "FITE" brand LED tube lights: About $30 for a 4 foot 2-tube fixture that includes hanging hardware, and power cords. They can be daisy-chained together for simplicity of installation.
They also sell FITE-brand LED tubes (4 ft.) that are plug-in replacement for fluorescent tubes. ~$25 per pair, or less.
I think I've seen the same FITE brands showing up in Home Depot and other stores now.

I'll try to attach a picture of my lighted shop.
Even the local electric Co-op guys really liked the LED installation!
~RN
ShopProgress1small.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

WesHowe wrote:I have florescent (bulbs and tube style) in the house and workshop, and I intend to replace them all with LEDs. Being the offspring of two depression era parents, I won't be doing this until the present ones stop functioning. This also meets the criteria for pleasing my procrastination gene. :)
If they are old ones, they might outlive you.

I have one fixture that was in the house when we bought it and it was old then, probably dating back to when the house was new more than 50 years ago.

I was thinking of taking my fixtures (used drop ceiling fixtures), gutting them and installing a bunch of edison bases, then screwing in a bunch of cheap bulbs. I could rig switches on them to turn on only as much as I need.

Need to compare lumens per watt for that setup and for the new LED fixtures.

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

NP317 wrote:I equipped my new 6-car-sized garage/shop entirely with new LED tube lighting.
~RN
ShopProgress1small.jpg
Nice planes :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've heard of people parking cars in garages.
I didn't know it was possible.
Thanks for the photographic proof!

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I've heard of people parking cars in garages.
I didn't know it was possible.
Thanks for the photographic proof!

;)
Bill
Well, around where I am, 6-car garages are rare. So rare I've never seen one. It appears that just one car can fit in a 6-car garage, along with a small sailboat...

For the record, a 2-car garage can house just one motorcycle, but it is a really inconvenient compromise.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

ctwo wrote:
NP317 wrote:I equipped my new 6-car-sized garage/shop entirely with new LED tube lighting.
~RN
ShopProgress1small.jpg
Nice planes :D
Thanks. smile...

Here's the truth of what's in our new garage/shop:
The far back 1/3 is my machine shop and now contains a new South Bend 9 x 48 milling machine, and a Grizz 14-40 lathe, along with all tooling and my other assorted power tools, grinders, tables, etc. And the wood-burning heater.
The center is still filled with our house furniture for our recent move, + many boxes of "stuff." We're still working on getting moved in.
Plus the RC airplanes and welding equipment...
Plus the 16 foot steam launch on its trailer- not yet completed.
The front third store our '73 Datsun 240Z, and two Russian motorcycles, one with a sidecar.
And more...

Perhaps the biggest deviation from "normal" is that our car and truck are stored in the home's attached 2-car garage. Very nice with all the snow we've had this winter.

Now the truth is out...
And the LED lighting is BRIGHT!
~RN
spro

Post by spro »

That is nice. What isn't so nice is early florescent ballasts exploding. The fixtures are heavy industrial things but I couldn't believe what I saw. I happened to be in an open area between banks of sensitive equipment. That 4 tube lamp went into a strobe mode and smoke Sparks and dripping smoking pcbs squirting from every orifice. A minor fire was inside too. I cut the circuit. These were on a long lighting circuit, one of many others and didn't trip the breaker. All of that was changed to a newer ballast and different tubes. Close to 1,000 in one place.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A trip to Mantards and I bought the first 4 T-8 bulbs in two pack, about $12 ea. 7 watt consumption. No conversion, just put em in. My landing to the lower level has two downlights (spot/flood) over the landing. I put two led 50 watt equivalent in those as these are the most used lights downstairs. Next month, we will hit some more fixtures. That will Hit my budget for SS plays.

I dunno about the 120 volt led bulbs. Mantards had shop light versions at about $30 per copy. So any new lighting in garage or annex will probably go that route.

I know this shangout sems slow, but I am in Mantards several times a month for various things, and I believe that slow and steady wins the rae, even tho a slower pace, we move forward. My kitchen lights may be next as they are 'cloud type' with ballon covers. They are a catch- all for bugs and look awfull most of the time. So a newer decor light of led style is in order.

For farts and Giggles, I bought a nice old 6 inch South bend lathe from a neighbor who is out of work. It has the normal bare tooling assortment, with a heavy wood bench, and the back drive with flatbelt. I will give it a good cleaning, and paint restoration, and will offer it for sale, as I already have a nice operable 6 inch, to go with my 9 inch school lathe, and 13 inch antiquer. The 9 is a quick change and a honey, but has a motor problem due to a mishap from mom. Laters.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote:I was thinking of taking my fixtures (used drop ceiling fixtures), gutting them and installing a bunch of edison bases, then screwing in a bunch of cheap bulbs. I could rig switches on them to turn on only as much as I need.

Need to compare lumens per watt for that setup and for the new LED fixtures.
Not just lumens per watt but also color temperature. The latter has a substantial effect on the perceived brightness and clarity.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D