It was getting loud, more than a car horn in a closed garage loud. I ran out and back in to shut off the switch.John Hasler wrote:The thermal cutout in the ballaslt would open up if it overheated. They can keep on making that racket for a long time, though.
Go with the LEDs.
I like LEDs. I installed 8 screw in replacements in one room after disabling the dimmer, which seems like it's on every circuit in this house. I've noticed these bulbs started to hum, just a bit higher pitched than the normal 60 hz hum though. It stops after they warm up a bit. I have 4 more for another room that are dimmable (yay). The rest of the house has these 4-pin, no ballast bulbs that are crazy expensive and don't last. Those will be new fixtures and getting into the wiring to find the ballasts. Worst light design I've ever seen.
I was looking at these for the garage, $7ea: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/19179 ... 019CS.html