cordless drill batteries won't hold charge

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

cordless drill batteries won't hold charge

Post by SteveM »

I have some aftermarket replacement batteries for my 12v dewalt drill.

They will charge, and if I use them out of the charger, they work great and work for a long time.

If I charge them, take them off the charger and let them sit for a whole, when I go to use them, they have just a trickle left in them.

Sounds like there is some kind of internal short draining them.

Is there anything that can be done to "resurrect" them?

I've seen videos of people zapping them with a higher-than-spec voltage, but that appears to be for batteries that are not charging.

Steve
Steggy

Re: cordless drill batteries won't hold charge

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote:I have some aftermarket replacement batteries for my 12v dewalt drill.

They will charge, and if I use them out of the charger, they work great and work for a long time.

If I charge them, take them off the charger and let them sit for a whole, when I go to use them, they have just a trickle left in them.

Sounds like there is some kind of internal short draining them.

Is there anything that can be done to "resurrect" them?

I've seen videos of people zapping them with a higher-than-spec voltage, but that appears to be for batteries that are not charging.

Steve
Not one to rain on anyone's parade, but I believe you are the victim of a crooked seller. You don't mention if these batteries are NiCad or lithium-ion (LI), but what you most likely have been sold are recycled LI batteries in a reconditioned case. The charging-with-an-out-of-spec-voltage trick to revive a failing battery is a common one, and almost always results in a battery that will not hold a charge. Sorry! This is another case of caveat emptor.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:Not one to rain on anyone's parade, but I believe you are the victim of a crooked seller. You don't mention if these batteries are NiCad or lithium-ion (LI), but what you most likely have been sold are recycled LI batteries in a reconditioned case. The charging-with-an-out-of-spec-voltage trick to revive a failing battery is a common one, and almost always results in a battery that will not hold a charge. Sorry! This is another case of caveat emptor.
The batteries are cheap aftermarket replacements and they are NiCad not LI,

They worked fine for a couple of years of homeowner use (not contractor use), but now they can't hold the charge.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Fact is most home guys dont use their battery powered things often enough, and the batteries go away from natural causes of overcharge, (getting hot) and long discharge periods. I focussed on B=D products, as they were popular at thepawns shops. I have collected a slew of drills and saws that now no longer work, due to battery or charger failure. Having more than one takes the sting out, but still you eventually are forced to replace batteries to maintain a usable power tool. Teh cells are cheap induvidually, if you want to take the time to renew your battery packs that way, and many home renewal vids exist to help you along. Buyer beware, as some of these geniouses dont kow beans about doing renewals so reserarch well. Horror fight has 18 volt packs, that can be broken down to repower 12, and 14.5 volt packs, like I have, and work suffidiently well. So if your packs are beyond 3-4 yrs old, expect some problems Juying new batteries is painfull at ful retail price.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote:The batteries are cheap aftermarket replacements and they are NiCad not LI,

They worked fine for a couple of years of homeowner use (not contractor use), but now they can't hold the charge.
Sounds like typical behavior for NiCads, especially if they get relatively light use.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:Sounds like typical behavior for NiCads, especially if they get relatively light use.
I've heard of them not charging, or only holding a small charge because of "memory" (I have two really old ones like that) but not that they would slowly die after having been fully charged.

Steve
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Ni-Cd reported memory problem have been resolved long time ago.
The real problem with cordless tools is that the battery is undersized by at least a factor of 2, more for cheap tools.
The marketing figured that is sufficient to provide the illusion of a proper tool. You get fair service for a very short life due to cheap, overtaxed battery matched to a crappy charger that does not know when to quit.
The marketeer figure that if they price the replacement battery right, people will rather pay a bit more for a new drill.
Black & Decker used to be a good brand for the home owner type, I bought with me my 1969 220V drill from Italy when emigrated (do not ask why, we are all very attached to our tool but I did not know that the USA was "tool Nirvana"). That drill still works today at 120V and since it turn slower that a drill is a good screwdriver.
Today B&D is not even worth the box it comes in.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Agree that B&D are not what they used to be, and are closer to throw aways than ever. But if you have half a dozen battery powered tools, whadya do? Buying a charger and battery is more than the new model, so I try to work with the scrap I still own. If I fail, I lose little. It makes one brave to venture into the realm of betting on a hunch. Winning is always better than the agony of defeat.. Just dont tell anybody about the robot drives that now infest your trash or box market 'broken drills'.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

After nothing but disappointment, I have abandoned all rechargeable tools. I'll run an extension cord anywhere needed.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Just yesterday the 6:00 PM news reported yet one more case battery ignition.
Having spent a career in power supplies design and having designed a dozen battery charger for professional use (not consumer) I have a theory about the growing instances of battery failure.

Power engineering is not glamorous, young engineers specialize in computer, digital software, RF and similar "sexier" fields rather that power or analog disciplines.
Old gizzards like myself are now retired or replaced by two fresh out for total salary 2/3 of the old guy when not entirely outsourced to the still learning Asians. I do not mean to demean the Asian engineers, there is no reason for being any less skilled that any other group. But the cost constraint that USA Inc. places on Consumer Market supplier are certainly not conductive to attract the most skilled. I have worked with Asian engineering group, the learn fast but are still on the learning curve and even in that endeavor are hampered by the need to get the job done fast and cheap. Injuries law suites to follow, still cheaper than doing it right. Remember the $1.49 bracket to fix the Pinto?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX