2005 Ford power stroke

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

stephenc

Re: 2005 Ford power stroke

Post by stephenc »

the truck went into the shop yesterday morning to get fixed . Fingers crossed I get away with head gaskets and glow plugs .
Should have a diagnoses late Monday or Tuesday morning
Luckily my brother has a shop and is going to float me the labor and parts costs untill I sell the truck
One of his mechanics has expressed an interest in buying the truck so the thing might be easy to get rid of .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Good deal. Try to set the hook near black book, or wholesale price. Location, and condition is everything. Sitting in your lap, is much better than two states away. Transport costs money too ya know.

Sonny has a nice truck that a girl ran out of oil. He just finiished a job that bought him a used engine out of a crashed Jeep. Because of the cross over parts, the jeep carcus is promised, and sold. It is the next major project due here.

Point is, where there is a will, there is a way to make a deal, without going broke. With unlimited money we do unlimited things. Its more fun on a budget.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

It's back ...

$1300 later with new head gaskets , glow plugs , glow plug relay and wiring harness .
And 1 new injector .

Can't say I'm shocked at the bill , considering the labor involved and the price of the parts along with having the heads checked and injectors tested I think I got it fixed rather cheaply .
The one new injector was mostly a precaution, according to the injector shop it was still spraying ok ... just not as well as the other 7 .

Now ... anyone want to buy a truck lol .

Once I get the storage dust off it and shined up a little I think it will sell pretty quick .
Attachments
20170324_182424.jpg
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

1300 bucks sounds like a reasonable cost to fix. I would not have bought any ford diesel truck after the 7.3 power stroke went away not that I thought much of that engine but what has come after is all down hill.
I like to point out diesel conversions are pretty much all one way, that is putting the cummins into the fords and chevy trucks. Out of the 3 (ford, chevy, dodge) the cummins is the closest to a real truck engine as you will get.
A guy I know recently bought a new Ford crew cab diesel well loaded. When he told me what he paid for it I about fainted. I told him if I paid that much for a truck it better have Peterbilt or Kenworth on the hood and air brakes.

... real trucks have air brakes ....
Herb Kephart

Post by Herb Kephart »

One thing to watch for in that whole series of Internationals-- the IDI 6.9's,7,3's and all the iterations of Powerstroke is the blocks tend to get pinholes in the bores going into the water jackets if the DCA concentration in the coolant isn't maintained. Then it's sleeve time (and also to take out another mortgage) My best friend is an International dealer, he says that the last good diesel engine that they made was the 444--and then they screwed that up with electronics. He says that now it is very difficult to get repeat customers. Want to buy an agency?

Herb Kephart
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have the 444E in my Ford, and I was warned by my now extinct dealer to watch theacidity level in the coolant. There is an additive for this that avoids all the problems, as exhaust seepage will make the coolant acidic over time, not only destroying the coolant itself but adding corrosion to the mix.

I like mine, but they are not available in that form anymore.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Years ago I worked on a guys pre power stroke 7.3 that would not turn over due to water in #7 cylinder. With just 65K on the odometer it needed sleeves or a short block. He disposed of the truck as is.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ALCOSTEAM wrote:... real trucks have air brakes ....
Also true of locomotives. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Well there's no need for me to worry about the antifreeze ..... New owner plunked down a wad of cash and drove it away this afternoon.

Easiest sale I ever had , took it for about a two mile test drive and didn't even negotiate
so I guess I either sold it to cheap or clean rust free somewhat low mileage trucks are hard to find .
Either way I'm happy ... I can get a reliable car to drive and possibly a new roof on my house :)
akajun

Post by akajun »

little late to the party here. I have an 06. You probably have a egr cooler failure. Your options are to do an EGR delete, your cheapest option, a Bulletproof egr cooler, about 3k, or while your at it, go with the full bulletproof kit for that engine, consisting of a new egr cooler, headbolts and gaskets, and a few other parts for about 5-7k. The good news is that once that is done, the 6.0 is actually a good engine, and all the faults can be fixed for good at once.
BTW once you get the egr cooler replaced, flush and fill the cooling system with prestone extended life coolant. Many of the coolant problems and head bolt problems were caused by the silicates in the coolant ford used coming out of suspension, causing overheating and clogging the system.