Spare keys don't work

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Spare keys don't work

Post by whateg0 »

I just thought of something. To get past this issue of keys that don't work, I figured I'd go to Lowes or wherever and just buy a blank key. With all the stuff I've read of people using them to force locks open, though, maybe I should just order off of ebay or cut a special key that is one step taller than desired so they cut it tall enough to be made right.
dbstoo

Post by dbstoo »

Now that I've been reminded, I want to check out the "cnc" self service machine at the hardware store. If it's well designed it will touch off the original and blank to ensure alignment. If it's just dead reckoning, then it's no better than the teenager with the older machines.
spro

Post by spro »

Back some decades I would clamp an old key to a blank or before that, a suitable unknown key. Put some spotting on one and go at it with a triangular file.
dbstoo

Post by dbstoo »

Locksmiths commonly will create keys using just a file. Not because it's fastest or most precise, but because there's a process where you can make a new key for a lock just by observing the marks that he lock leaves on the key. The technique is known as impressioning and is a popular way to create a new car key if the originals are lost. It really helps to know that many car locks use only 3 to 5 depths, and some use only some of the cuts for the doors and others for the ignition.

I don't usually buy keys at the hardware store anymore, except when out of town. When I get home I check them against the factory specs and fix it by hand if necessary.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

The self serve key making machines, have all worked best for me.
(knock on wood) I have never had one of them fail yet.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.