why can't mice be nice

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

ALCOSTEAM

Re: why can't mice be nice

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I have been battling different vernin Spro,

Here my Binford 8100 Gopher Gasser:
Binford 8100 Gopher Gasser.jpg
:) Bill
My father had a massive mole and chipmunk problem. He was doing the exhaust gas into the holes thing for awhile but changed to just using a 20lb propane tank with a regulator set to trickle gas into the runs. That wiped the moles out flat quick but the chipmunks either survived or there were just so many the ones dying in the holes didn't make a difference in their numbers. It took getting several of the small live traps and giving the chipmunks skuba lessons in a barrel of water to get them under control.

Moles,, I have drove the big tractor over their runs flattening them down and sit and watch to see if they start working them thru again. Once you spot where they are working sneek up with a pitchfork and start sticking the ground. Only once I can remember did I ever bring up a bloody fork tine. Somehow those critters can dodge pitchfork tines,,, and .22 rounds.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Propane.....
Somehow I keep picturing a 'Caddyshack' scenario.... :)

My neighbor in Oregon, would grab a chaise, a cooler full of beer, and his shotgun every weekend after he was done mowing.
He'd sit out next to the freshest mounds, reading the paper, and watching the mounds.
Every now & then I'd here a BLAM, when I was out workin' in our yard.

Not sure which was worse....the mole made mounds of dirt, or the 12 gage divots.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Big Dave,

If you want to get rid of ants, get some Amdro Ant Block. We had some monster ant hills here when we bought the place, and I tried all kinds of stuff....and failed to kill 'em.
Some of these hills were 4' & 5' in diameter, and a foot high, with a 6 or 8 entrances.

https://www.amazon.com/Amdro-Block-Home ... +ant+block

A teaspoon will kill a big big ant hill, and usually only takes a day, maybe two. Small hills, just a sprinkle. They pack it down in their mine and it kills the queen. Big ants, little ants....doesn't seem to matter.
Good thing is, it's non-toxic to birds, and they don't seem to care for it anyway. We have all kinds of birds here, including one neighbors chickens and another's Guinea's, not to mention a whole lot of quail.
When I looked up the info & MSDS on it, the ingredient that gets 'em is only toxic to fish....not a problem here. (Hydramethylnon 1.0%) I don't know if there are other brands that have the same chemical, but it is the stuff to get.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Amdro is amazing, and their roach pellets can't be beat. I went under the house and spread them all over the place. Now...no roaches. In Miami, this is an astonishing victory.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Rodents basically suck but they are mammals.
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

My 2008 Lincoln MKZ (a Mazda 6000 platform) has soy based insulation on the wires. Two days at the vacation house is enough for them to eat $ 250 worth of repair, TWICE! Won't park the thing now without moth balls under the hood, ultrasonics, traps and what ever else I can find. (So far they have left the machine shop alone...)

John