why can't mice be nice

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

why can't mice be nice

Post by spro »

Vermin! They ain't cute but they are particular. They know what drawer is the most clean or the iron table or cylinder sleeves. What do they do, peeing while they're breathing? Vermin, and the gloves are off now. We don't have the roaming cats or raptors as before. They would make a tasty treat if they weren't poisoned. I have a bb gun but it looks like a Colt .45 so can't even think about dispatching them openly. Traps, I suppose but why can't the rats be civil?
No. Seriously. I will have to remove a small block of terminator from my truck. Mice have ruined things when I wasn't looking. Fresh dead mouse on the driveway within 10 minutes . What if somebody's dog chews one ? No way so go away and remove the only thing that prevents them. Better yet; remove the whole licensed, insured truck, my garage and me.
Then in pristine ecological paradise, someone opens a drawer of silverware and mice have been there. They have peed, nested and peed again because they don't care about your silverware any more than precision machinist tooling. They will dial a number and somebody else takes care of that. It will be Poison. It isn't "their poison", not their concern.
The same people who would say that you had mice in your garage and responsible for the mice, completely ignore all the different traps and ways to Avoid poison. Doesn't matter. Freakin mice are part of the system. We need the rest of the system to take care of tasty morsels.
mcostello

Re: why can't mice be nice

Post by mcostello »

Check out "mouse traps" on the Internet, some traps are easy to make, like a log rolling trap. I just made several that use a tilting clear plastic pop bottle.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Break bad on the rodentia Spro.....
You must become the Verminator.......

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have massive mouse kateer problems. In all my storage areas they have habitat with cover feed and weddigs for teir kind. They chew covers and tarps to bits, build nests in machines and motors, and just decorate everything with rust and that peculiar mousy odor. I harbor nine cats, and they cannot keep up with the infiltration of rodentia from the yard and fields.

A friend now passed learned the hard way, feeding mice the 'blue death' cubes from the grain elevator did in all his cats in short order, as they caught and ate the sickend mice.

My most effective method for mouse proofing is the rolling bottle trap, just a little more effective than the old spring wire on the wood block traps. The plastic T-rex jaw traps only work a couple of times, and then refuse to set. The older tin cat box trap with the wind up sweep is by far the most effective for mobile mice that run into the dark corner and get trapped in the cage end, to be dumped in a water bucket. The new tin cat traps are plastic copies, and not nearly as effective for some reason. Injured mice are tossed in the chicken runs, and they display their vulturistic tendancies by being ravenous on the pests.

All tooling has to be in tool cabinet style boxes that are sealed to mice, and not in desk drawers and low grade cabinets, or you will see many nests of chewed fluff and rusting tools and rules. We had to tear down a rebuilt 350 GM engine that lost oil pressure, because the distributer hole was left open during storage , and provided the perfectly protected entrance to spaces within. Fiber fill from seating clogged the oil pum intake and caused low oil pressure, and the resulting teardown. The engine was saved, removing the clog from the oil screen, put in service and lasted for many a year, but still the added labor meant ' I HATE MEESES TO PIECES!'.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for understanding this little rant about little creatures. They do big damage. I've set some traps here and there. One was funny as it was in a drawer of electrical fittings and it caught Me!. Dang it. Something has to be done as another nearby property has been totally uprooted and these field mice go everywhere. No big deal except the ruination. I will investigate the provided information of safer traps. I removed the poison from the truck within an hour. No sense allowing poison to spread. Maybe an owl or falcon is around. No way could I let that happen.
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Dave! I had already composed a message but didn't see yours coming. Good info Dave and yes "a better mousetrap" than poison.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have been battling different vernin Spro,

Here my Binford 8100 Gopher Gasser:
Binford 8100 Gopher Gasser.jpg
An old 70's designed, was new in 1988 Briggs engine works perfectly. It's a real eye burner at an idle!
8 for 8 so far. Seems to be an invasion of the lawn and garden terrorizing critters this year.

For the mice, the roller traps work real well. I've built several with Pringles cans. Cut to length, glue on the lid, drill the holes, and ready to rock and/or roll.

Go on the attack Spro!

:) Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Dump the cats and buy poison.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

There was a rat in the kitchen last week. It got away under the counter cabinet so I ripped half that thing apart trying to see where it went, then I put out peanut butter baited snap traps. It has not been seen nor heard since. I've heard that if you see one, there are 4 more. I expect they are building an assault army. I still have not figured how it got in nor where it went.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

As far as mice....things like DeCon work....but the beasts die under things and can end up stinkin' to high heaven.
For gophers....I used poison for years, but this year, they didn't touch the stuff, or are immune. (Zinc Phosphate)
That's when I tried something different, the Binford 8100, which so far, has been 100% effective.

Could go nuclear.....but that's tough on the folks downwind ya know....

;)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I used Tomcat poison on rats in a drug house. They disappeared in a hurry. I don't know whether they died in the walls and stank. I was just killing the rats, not moving in. I have also had success with traps and peanut butter.

I bought a CO2 pistol some years ago. I blasted a rat under the dryer. Somehow he found his way back out of the house, leaving a blood trail. Too bad. I wanted to do him the courtesy of a clean kill.

I don't know anything about his diet, but during the 5 to 10 minutes he was in the house, he dropped something like 18 enormous poops. Under similar circumstances, I probably would have done the same thing.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Binford 8100. WOW. INVENTION IS TRULY THE mOTHER OF ALL NEEDS.
My tractor discovers ant super colomies, snakes, and other denizens of nature not favorable to my efforts.

I used to use .22shot shell in my pistol for control, but the rounds have not been available for over a year as production of standard ammunitions have taken up that capacity. My local dealer says they will be available on a limited basis this July. I asked for a reserve and they refused.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.