Give me the Bad News on Hydraulic Seal Leaks

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Give me the Bad News on Hydraulic Seal Leaks

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Stuff so simple....even a lawyer can fix it!!

:)

Forget the umbrella....you need to work on your farmer tan.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Stuff so simple....even a lawyer can fix it!!

Forget the umbrella....you need to work on your farmer tan.
A lot of people become lawyers because they're not technically inclined enough to be doctors. I think the math weeds them out. I remember hearing people talk about buying suits when I was in law school. I suggested someone buy a Valentino, because they were on sale for 30% off. He said they cost $700, and I said, "Well, now you can get one for $490." People looked at me like I was a god.

On the other side of the coin, when I was a physics teaching assistant, I used to do crossword puzzles in the office. One of the other TA's took a finished one and showed it to people. They couldn't believe it. He put it on the wall. There are a lot of 800 math/350 verbal SAT guys in the STEM world.

As for farmer tans, I am unable to get any type of tan. I'm surprised UV rays haven't driven my kind out of the gene pool.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I used to eat breakfast with an older Attorney. He walked in every morning with the newspaper tucked under his arm, sat down, ordered a cup of coffee, and then did the crossword puzzle before ordering breakfast.

He never stopped writing until it was completed. It was like he had all of the answers memorized.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have been using crossword puzzles to time my dad's dementia. A couple of months ago, he started failing to finish them. Gave me the chills.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's been over a year now since my Mother failed to recognize me.

I found a mobile hydraulic hose guy to replace some hoses on my fork lift.

Much to my surprise, while he was there, he replaced the seal in the hydraulic lift cylinder.

Maybe you have someone similar in the area.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Sorry to hear about your mother. I know I'm headed that way.

I'm hoping I can fix the quick coupling and PTO seal myself, but if that fails, the mechanic who looked at the tractor says he can do it. I told him I wanted someone I could use for most repairs, but that I would have to go the dealerships occasionally in order to prevent them from hating me and taking revenge. As far as I know, every vehicle dealer on earth is a thieving dirtbag, so I avoid all contact with them.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just realized I don't know how tractors are insured. New problem to take care of.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I would guess it would be covered under Homeowners.
Glenn

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I sure hope so. You know how expensive vehicle insurance is here.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My Mother In Law has Alzheimer's. Difficult to deal with....as you know....
Short term memory seems to be the worst. Past that...great grand kids are tough for her to remember, and mostly she doesn't. Grand kids are in & out as to who is who. Oddly enough, she can still play games like always. I'm not a real card player, but she can zip away at 'em on the computer faster than I can keep up with what she's doing.
I don't think any two cases are really the same.....

Past that....if you can't replace a seals and a quick coupler Steve, you will be disbarred!
(Disbarred from the mechanical world that is)

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Seems like a lot of us are dealing with demented relatives.

As for the tractors, in a shop with real elbow room, I may actually enjoy working on them.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

LOL. Tractor umbrella. First ya need to burn bit to convince you the farmers hat aint enough. Forget a ball cap. Blisters on the tips of your Spock ears will convince you of that.
I have saved a crinkled Honda (?) hood for a sheet metal skin, preformed for the roll bar, to provide an awning for the Case. All I need is the motivation to put a spine on the bar, and use trailer rivets to pop it together for that mobile bit of shade. There is a rubber based edging to glue on, that is a standard trim item, that will take the sharp edge away, and really make it pro looking. Comfort is King.
Hydraulics that seep are a good thing. The wisp of oil is easily washed away during normal service, and keeps threads and knuckles lubed for free turning. A little dirt stuck in an oil film actually preserves paint. Frequent washing and soap will destroy fenders and other lapped sheet metal with corrosion that a little oil will stop.

Tractor supply has hoses for low pressure hydraulics already made up, and on the shelf. High pressure hose is made to order at several suppliers around here With Parker brand pretty common. They normally carry small rod seals and do-dads for hydraulics, or know who has them. Bearing houses of any grit have larger stocks of seals to accent their bearing lines.

A local rebuilder has saved me several times on hydraulic parts, as piston rods and such dont grow on trees for a 47 Hough payloader. Rusting rods and ring packings were replaced with stainless rod stock and lip seals. perfect. The cost of making and plating OEM style rods were stellar.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.