How Much Grass Can a Garden Tractor Handle?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

RONALD

Re: How Much Grass Can a Garden Tractor Handle?

Post by RONALD »

Waaay back in 1958, we started with a Sears (Simplicity) Garden tractor of 8HP and a 36" sickle-bar blade to cut our newly purchased acreage of mostly alfalfa. We quickly learned it was not the way to go!

When we purchased a Jeep CJ5 we also purchased a Mott 60" Flail Mower with a Wisconsin 18HP two cylinder engine on top, wow, it cut everything, even garden hose or anything else in the its path. But there was a problem, as the years went by, all those little trees we had planted were getting big and maneuvering a Jeep around them became impossible.

Our next big purchase was a Ransomes 24T 60" riding mower with a 24HP Onan engine, it worked for many years, but unfortunately has hydraulic problems I have not been able to solve.

Today, I have a 54" Kubota GR2110, with almost zero turn, with a 21.5 HP Kubota Diesel. It will cut thru anything, and being 4 wheel drive never gets stuck.

I also bought a used Ransomes 725, it does a fairly good job, but at 64" wide with a Kohler 24HP, tends to bog down if the area is too overgrown.

Last year I bought a Gravely ztXL, it has a Kawaski 21.5 HP, and at 42" cuts most stuff, but I can't stand those steering levers. If I go under a tree and have to use one hand to lift a branch, I'm sure to go off course. Also with only rear wheels driving, I got it caught in mud a couple of times. Would not buy any other with that lever steering!

We also have a 39HP 4WD Kubota L3940, but it is not used for mowing yet. My brother has a 60" Kubota F 2690 25.5HP Diesel 4WD mower, I will buy one of those if the need ever arises.

Along the way we had many small mowers, like IH Cub Cadet mowers; we found buying the best you can afford is the way to go.

My most versatile machine is my 27HP Toro Dingo 427WT, but I have yet to buy a mower attachment for it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It looks like I have a holding pen with an automatic water trough, plus another pen that might be for medication or loading. The sellers left the plug in the trough, so I am raising some really fine mosquitoes right now.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I tink you got all the answer about height. To make repair and maintenance I installed a hook in the garage ceiling and hoisted with a come-along with two chains to the front wheels frame. Rise it up on the rear wheels about 45*. Of course you need to be judicious, like for example spread the load of the hook with a board spanning across two joists.
Used to live in Sarasota and the sandy soil abraded the deck pretty thin in 5 years, but that was a Sears 8HP cutting 2 acres. For the fence there is always Round-Up if you disregard the rumors about cancer.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

We got goats because we are animal people. We want a couple more, for faster action and results. But they are pets. They being dwarfs mean they stay small and cant climb on the cars. i would caution anyone seeking a natural animal cure will have to put in a good effort at care, goats for one get into everything being the curious and energetic things they are, and thus the fun, but not the only answer. They are browsers, not grazers so they tend to eat everything above ground level in brush and weeds. But to think it is a free ride will leave you open to a rude awakening, for the effort needed. Our problem is providing enough tight fence. Fencing is expensive, and putting 35 lb goats on a teather is to risk predation, or entanglements. (we have a coyote population). Coyotes chewed up a goat that was teathered out to a tire several years ago.

Not to mention that they will take more care in winter, and need purchased feed, unless sold off. Keeping up with the land is a chore, but having the kids makes it more enjoyable at many moments, so its all good. I am building dog run panels of 5 and 6 foot high out of scrounged cyclone fencing, often posted on Craigs. It is the cheapest an most flexible system that moves with the need. When we are done with these games, there will be a substantial amount of value in the made panels to pass on to another in need.

The male is cut so he does not have the wild hormones that causes them to pee on their own face and raise the stink the girls find irresistable. Neghbor has fainting goats and keeps them on lock down as they are over 100 lbs and can do serious damage when climbing on things. Nigerians have raised ears, Nubians have hound puppy ears, but still small sized. These are milking goats with small but rich production and a most desired breed. We keep them for the land clearance, but options are open.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would be a little nervous about using a chain to lift the front of a thousand-pound tractor!
spro

Post by spro »

Truly informative Dave. Going back to dwarf mechanical goats, Russ's Sears tractor was a Suburban made by Roper. They used Tecumseh OHV engines. Mine is a 16hp and is like a yellow and white. I think it has the heavy deck you remember, Russ. It is almost too heavy be only cut 42" -44". Roper also made the "Custom" series. Same design only smaller. My little Sears Custom 7 really impressed me with its snow pushing ability. With chains, I basically ramped it off my truck into 2' + of snow and went a aplowing . Dwarf plowing it was , with the 42" plow but it was perfect for sidewalks between street signs and stone walls. Paths and such where nothing larger would pass. Even the little 7 had that 2 speed transaxle giving 6 forward speeds.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Somebody mentioned Cub Cadets. There is a row of them in front of the local Tractor Supply. I think they're $1699 each.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

There are outfits that rent herds of goats to clean up vacant lots and so forth. Never heard of a goats' digestion as being delicate, quite the opposite. Left in a field, they have priorities, but will eventually eat everything.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sounds exactly right spro. I remembered it as a B&S, but certainly not surprised it was actually a Tecumseh. Those were real "garden tractors" from a time when lawn mowers were often more robust than the premium "garden tractors" now. As I recall, the next step up from that general class of the time were the Cubs (and the like) with actual hydraulics 3 points, expansion ports for front blades and snow blowers, etc.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Please now try to understand we have threads between threads and it is all interesting as we evolve or remember. I don't mean to talk over SteveG too much. He already has the larger equipment as do a many here. They already went through it and I will too. There is a certain niche about these smaller heavy ones and that is the way it is. I mean, woulda thought ? The older Cubs are tanks depending on which type. The old Jacobsens are freakin tanks also. But they all need maintenance or disappear.
spro

Post by spro »

Well I meant Cub Cadets were tough like almost tanks. The Cubs are near a tractor and serve very well for mowing and stuff as the older Farmalls.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Russ Hanscom wrote:There are outfits that rent herds of goats to clean up vacant lots and so forth. Never heard of a goats' digestion as being delicate, quite the opposite. Left in a field, they have priorities, but will eventually eat everything.
I did not commit my friend's comments to memory, but I think she said something about them getting sick from not eating enough trash. I can't recall what she called the illness they get. She works in a veterinary hospital, and people bring their malfunctioning goats in. They have to leave them there for a long course of treatment.

My grandfather killed a goat by feeding it a sidewalk. His doctor prescribed goat's milk for some problem or other, so he got a goat. It ate a wet sidewalk and dropped dead later. My dad was given the task of burning the body. He claims it took two weeks. I assume that's an exaggeration.