Talk tractors

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

Re: Talk tractors

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

" You around the fires up there? We have been getting the smoke from BC lately "

No, I live in the Fraser Valley now, 13 hours drive away. It's smoky here too. For those without knowledge of the geography of BC, The Peace river country is Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. I'm heading up there for some elk hunting in a couple of days. It's too hot for good hunting this year, though.

This year has been the worst year in our history for fires, and it's not over yet.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Starting last night and building up this morning, east side of Seattle and out in the foothills leading up to the Cascades, we've had ash falling from the sky. Last night, at first glance I thought it was snow. But way to warm - around 70* F after dark. Crazy! Then scooped up a flake with my fingertip and realized it was ash. Today, the air is thick with brown smoke. Almost able to look directly at the sun through the haze. News reports say the ash is coming from the Cle Elum fire, 70 miles away up in the Cascades. It is a forest fire apparently burning out of control due to the steepness of the mountain terrain.

What's really crazy, is it's distinctly cool in the shadow of the big fir trees in the yard. yet, step around the tree truck into the sun and it feels like you are standing in front of a radiant heater- sharp blast of heat directly from the sun. Then it disappears again a few feet away when you step into the next shadow. Also the shadows on the driveway pavement are brownish, not the usual dark gray. Surreal. Never seen anything like this, except for the Mt. Illiama volcanic eruption in Anchorage back in the 1980's.

Edit: actually I got the colors backwards. The shadow of the tree is grey, laying across the driveway. but the direct sunlight shinning on the cement driveway is sort of a reddish brown.
Brown sunlight on the driveway
Brown sunlight on the driveway
Actual sky color and sun this morning.
Brown sky in the morning.
Brown sky in the morning.
Similar reddish brown color also appears in the Farmal Cub photo I added below.

Whoops, wayyy off subject! Well, my old Farmal Cub, parked in the back yard waiting for new rear main seals and paint job, and new wiring harness, probably won't mind.
IMG_4273.JPG
I bought the Cub in Alaska 25 years ago and sold it to a gentlemen farmer here in Washington a few years latter. Fast forward 17 years and the same fellow traded it back to me in exchange for my Salsa "fat bike" with 4" tires. My dad used to sell IH farm equipment in Missouri back in the1950's, and was the dealer next county over to the guy that originally sold this tractor to the family in Alaska. I meant to restore it this summer, but have spent all year putting in my back yard railroad, so now a year away from working on the Cub. Last summer the Cub and I pushed 100 yards of fill around to create the RR grade. Was great fun to drive it around our rural county neighborhood, stoping at summer lemonade stands. All the kids jumped up and smiled and the ladies laughed and waved! Never failed.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
spro

Post by spro »

Gosh this sounds bad. It goes without saying but if .....nope. Lots of things going on all at once and I hope we weather it out okay.
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Red sunrise here in west central Minnesota the last few days, weatherman says it's caused by fires in Canada, I don't know if it's the BC fires or others. Between those fires, the one in L.A. , Harvey, and now the coming of Irma, I'm glad to be living where I do.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. On a lighter note; it is nice to see a Farmall Cub. Sometimes you see them with one round mowing deck and think that's kind of small. Then look closer and it is bush hog/ brush hog and with the high ground clearance, will eat anything. People are off-put about the offset engine/steering arrangement but as we know, it allows perfect view to the business end of things.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I spent many a week broiling away in the sun getting a sore neck from looking down while cultivating on a offset farmall A .

The mentioning of the allis Chalmers equipment does bring back memories , growing up on the farm we had an old allis hd6 bulldozer , as a kid I thought the thing was huge .
Then when I grew up a bit and got my first job in the coal mines I spent a few years inside a fiat-allis fd-50
And those went the way of the dodo bird when cat d11's had been around along enough for used machines to be affordable for the smaller mines .
spro

Post by spro »

Perhaps for a few seconds, there is acknowledgement. Imagine that, seconds. I don't like this at all. Lots and Lots of time and experience. If I talk about anything remotely a tractor, glad there are our friends come out and put things in place. It is so good in many ways. I can post about a little one but nobody is ridiculing me. Tractors/Dozers are plain neat and we can't live without them. Somebody did this work with the big stuff over and over. Then they are members of our Board. Strong, strong men and never forget they weren't sitting around bloviating in some faculty lounge someplace. They were doing the work.
No way is this a strike against anyone here. No flyin' way.
spro

Post by spro »

Good question but it isn't about questions. I have a right to appreciate while I can.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Those who spent time bloviating in faculty lounges were often discussing their research on subjects such as materials science and tribology, subjects essential to the design of those machines. Then they went back to work teaching the engineers who were going to design them.
Downwindtracker2

I did have a tractor once when I was up north. I lived beside a lake with a longish driveway, so I bought a tractor and a blade to clear the snow. Smaller tractors weren't that common in that country. Remember Robbi was still using horses when he was young. What I found was Universal 45hp, a three cylinder diesel, a Fait design made in Romania. Poor quality and rough shape but fully featured, 4wd, power steering, hydraulics, and 3 pt hitch. At the equipment dealer, we agreed on a price,$1300 but I wanted to see it run. So they pulled it with a big Versatile . That was the last time I saw it run. A new battery, rebuilt injectors and pump didn't help. I was looking at rebuilding the engine, not an easy thing ,what with splitting the tractor and having no shop. I got some money out of it when I sold to a fellow who had a one with a bum transmission. Lesson learned about tractors and diesels.

Speaking about big tractors, when visiting in-laws on the prairies we talked tractors. THE tractor now are the Case Internationals with their four triangular tracks.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
spro

Post by spro »

Point taken, John. Thanks for the reset.
Downwindtracker2

John , tribology had me. I had to look that one up.