What to do with methanol?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

b4autodark

What to do with methanol?

Post by b4autodark »

Several years ago I bought a bunch of tanks, pumps, etc. from an individual that was making biodiesel and was moving and couldn't take his equipment with him. Along with this purchase came a 55 gallon drum of methanol, it is still sitting in my barn and i'm tired of moving it around, any ideas for practical uses for this would be appreciated.
Steggy

Re: What to do with methanol?

Post by Steggy »

b4autodark wrote:Several years ago I bought a bunch of tanks, pumps, etc. from an individual that was making biodiesel and was moving and couldn't take his equipment with him. Along with this purchase came a 55 gallon drum of methanol, it is still sitting in my barn and i'm tired of moving it around, any ideas for practical uses for this would be appreciated.
Find someone who is into alcohol funny cars or dragsters and sell the drum to him. Shop uses for methanol are few and far in between, unless one is in the printing business and runs large offset presses.

Incidentally, it's best if you don't open that drum. Methanol is hygroscopic. No point in reducing its purity.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D