Will Dead Grass Clippings Ever Go Away?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Will Dead Grass Clippings Ever Go Away?

Post by steamin10 »

They call them kids because they will get into everything. We found that the light welded wire we build chicken coops with, wont last with active goats. Being tactile creatures they love to rub against the posts, and work the wire welded joints apart, and now you have loose goats. And they strip an area bare. They pretty much eat any tree, brush, hawthorn leaves, ragweed, and even poison ivy. G[ven time they destroy the bark on brush and young saplings, killing them.

we avoid the car climbing issue by keeping them penned, but they will play on your picnic table and any other climbable things in the yard, including your lap. We chose miniature breeds of goats for that reason, as they wiegh in less than forty lbs and smaller but have voracious appetites. We have located two more pygmy goats for a low price, and will get them about Saturday. They are being wethered and polled before we get them. so some quick paddock layout is in order. They are too short of leg to leap on the vehicles, unless the cross something else.

I cant weed wack all the places the tractors can run through, so this is an attempt to keep the land tidy (er) without my doing all the work. Ellie and Carl were moved into a new area, and already have a path around the fencing cleared out. They are climbing on a rabbit hutch 4 feet up, and lay there on the lookout for us, and anything else to yell at. They have not jumped down the 5 foot fencing they can see over, but as the small accessory buildings get exposed, we will eliminate them from from their area. It is funny to go back and see them eye to eye with you.

Enough of goats. I must make a T post pounder tomorrow so I can easily install line posts for my next fence move. The last was done with a 20 lb hammer, and I am too old for that. A driver is easier. Pulling posts is done with a strap on tractor hydraulics doing the lifting. It doesnt seem to get as winded as I do, nor as tired.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Very cool but your tractor probably has two stage hydraulics for the three point. Maybe they could be pressed down after a whack or two.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Nope. the three point on my compact Case (Mitsubishi) floats down and powers up. My IH 140 has velvet touch, but is weak in the hydraulic department. So I have to find another way.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

our goats stay put on chains with augers in the ground.

agree on keeping them away from dent-able objects

wife's 'garden' is the reason we NEED goats...nothing but a contained weed-patch.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.