Locked Engineer thread.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

Locked Engineer thread.

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I just came on it ,too bad I can't add my feelings. Oh well.

But I will add my experiences with PM. I innocently asked about PC brand chuck, I guess it's Chinese, and got a fairly rude response. Our mill had old and imported machinery, so we relied on jobbers to make replacement and or improved parts. I was down stream of machinists and had to make their mistakes fit!! After the rude comments I pointed out my experiences with machinists abilities, or lack there of.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
steamin10

Re: Locked Engineer thread.

Post by steamin10 »

Let that be the lesson then, as I feel this board of struggling amateurs are most grateful and graceful at sharing experiences. Only being a Millwright, electrician, furnace and AC guy doesnt allow me to claim superior status to be rude. Just well traveled. I have a lot of chicom and refurbed tools that at least function for what I need.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

P.M. is great and that is the way it is. Some guys have time to savage or post continuously about a subject which has no end. Credit to this Board that it is stopped before becoming out of hand. We all evolve at different rates but while stone cold truth is what we want, we receive that and more.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

This board is a community. We are a group of people dedicated to our craft, whether it is our vocation or our vacation from our vocation. We help each other when we can, and the moderators do a good job to make sure everything stays civil.

Practical Machinist is a business. It provides a revenue stream for its owner. The owner wants to keep it a professional board, and while he will tolerate hobby machinists participating, he will not tolerate discussions about hobby machines because he has sponsors / advertisers that are focused on the professional. When he goes selling ads / sponsorship he can state that his board caters to the professional and not the hobby / amateur.

PM states the rules up front:
Milacron wrote: Note this is the Manufacturing Forum, not the home shop machinist forum. And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing manual "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools.

Note I said "home shop grade" Larger and/or higher quality Asian machines that might be used in manufacturing or job shop setting are ok to discuss.

The discouragement of HSM grade Asian machine discussion is partially because they have all ready been discussed to death here, and partically because they are not used (or at shouldn't be) in any manufacturing/job shop envirnoments.

For these machines, there are other sites such as the HSM Magazine forum, Chaski forum and various Yahoo Groups that are more appropriate.

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-
*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere
*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions
*Hacksaws- anywhere
*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only
Usually when someone posts something that violated the rules, someone posts a link to the rules. Sometimes things get a little out of hand, particularly when a new member is there for the sole purpose of selling a bunch of stuff they picked up at a flea market and they are asking near retail for it.

In your case, you might not have known the origin / quality of the chuck you are dealing with, so the comments may have been harsher than necessary.

I participate on both boards, despite the fact that all my machines are hobby-grade or antique, occasionally poking fun at them by calling my lathe "the lathe whose name shall not be mentioned".

Steve
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I participate in a few forums , woodworking, hunting and here, machining. I really enjoy the learning of new things. As far as my skill level, I'll use the old meaning of the word hacker, an amateur. Hey, what happened to those three thou? chuckle. If I can add something, the writing focuses the mind. Except for some political discussions, I've never been rudely attacked except PM. This was to a professional millwright.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers