Still Here, Irma Notwithstanding

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Still Here, Irma Notwithstanding

Post by SteveHGraham »

It turns out there is a computer between the AC units, and it gets mad when the power goes off and refuses to turn the smaller unit on. I paid $75 to learn this. Way to go, Honeywell. Like your incomprehensible thermostats weren't trouble enough.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Wasn't that a different thing? Honeywell natural gas timer valves. This gets into a different thing with bad thermocouples. It is better they fail than a home blow apart. That is the way it is. I think Honeywell paid their penance long time ago.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Speaking of preppers, that "targeted by those who didn't prepare" is a very good reason that they are also gun collectors, and not just hunting rifles.

Regarding the propane, I think that's a good idea. I've got a 200+ gal tank here that mostly just feeds my grill (probably until after the end of my life), but also to fuel a forge, if I get around to it. But one nice thing is, I get it delivered in bulk when the prices are down, and if the power goes out (EMP or otherwise) I can always run my grill for the next few decades if need be (well, without the forge).

But the main reason I started this post is to mention that I've heard there are quite a few cases of CO poisoning because people can't leave their small gensets outside without risking someone stealing them. So they put them in the garage, or in the house propper, and it's easy to see the rest. Speaking of those guns...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I hadn't given any thought to the idea of thieves taking a generator, thus causing rightful owners to run them indoors. Where I live, that likely wouldn't happen, if for no other reason, we live on large parcels of land, no less than 5 acres. Highly unlikely that someone would have the courage to come close enough to steal a generator that was in operation.

That said, it's a sad commentary that one would have to resort to indoors operation of such an item, when it should be common knowledge that it likely would result in death.

I have no sympathy for thieves. As far as I'm concerned, they should be shot in the act. Especially home burglars.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Next you'll be saying they should be deported. Perish the thought!
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Shot...yes. Deported...yes, in a pine box. :wink: :D

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:Next you'll be saying they should be deported. Perish the thought!
Heh! One does NOT "deport" a citizen of our country.
This dude was local----a part of the scum in society that makes a living off the misery of others.

His name was well known by law enforcement. It's representative of the status quo, whereby such crimes against citizens are not considered being worthy of prosecution. I was informed that the sheriff's department was finished with their investigation, that if I hoped to get back the things that were taken it was up to me to find them.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I wonder how this works sometimes. The perp is actually in jail and has no means of re compensation to anything. Sometimes it isn't what they get but the wanton destruction to steal it. I have often thought about a person who will bust through to steal vehicles or precious items, had no hand to creating even one bolt or part of it.
spro

Post by spro »

In some of the worst cases there is homicide. The perp is promised "life" when he gave death.
spro

Post by spro »

There is more to say about this. I do think that Meth and crack influences the brain to where there isn't a rational decision. It is too bad because these guys could have been extreme fighters for to prevent even worse than they think they are.
It becomes one way or a few others. I don't know how penance is paid in this world, for raping a child, killing women or murder. It is a freaking waste unless totally psycho. I think a number would never have been that way in hindsight.
They should be given the option with weapons, dropped behind enemy lines and show their strength against the enemy more ruthless.
spro

Post by spro »

Or is it really.. the hoods prefer to shoot a woman behind the register. Upset and burn structures they never built.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I had the good fortune while working on a 3 flat apartment in 'plywood city' that my portable generator stopped running in the middle of a cut. I went to the third floor window to witness a guy hick my unit up on his shoulder and make off with it from the front lawn. I raced down the three flights of stairs and down the street to see him high tail it into an alley. I raced around the corner running full and stopped about 20 yards into the gap. WHAT ARE YOU DOING , I THOUGHT. THIS GUY HAS FRIENDS IN HIS HOOD. Pursuit over. I later quit the job and never got paid for my time despite a lein on the building, (some ones dream of progress). The occupants of the hood never let that building be finished as they constantly raided the materials and work done. It is because of this scenario that I am cautious about buying second hand things, not wanting to support the lazy leaches that live off of our labors.

It is therefore my mantra not to boast about what one has, as it makes you a target of opportunity in times of stress. and my giving, is to prevent need to turn on me. Otherwise be like a sniper in life and business, you only get one shot to get things done.

I am well known in my neck of the woods for being scary to some individuals, and I know thieves, and they know me. They circle like wolves. They know I am intolerant of rule breakers, and they mostly keep their distance. It is the young stupid ones that didnt get the memo, that I have trouble with, and that includes law enforcement. Justice is blind. It depends on their blue knights in the field, and they are increasingly simple minded. So I pick my way through settlers justice, retribution, and old fashioned neighbor watching over their flock and territory. I do my best to honor those that cover my needs, by honoring theirs with something, it is never one sided. We are stronger working together than apart. and that is the center of it.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.