Set Myself on Fire Lolz

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Magicniner

Re: Set Myself on Fire Lolz

Post by Magicniner »

Of course we should also all remember not to run with scissors or carry out any other perilous activity which is clearly beyond our limits :D
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Gasoline, especially when mixed with alcohol can be a deadly combination.

Consume enough alcohol and judgment becomes impaired. I once went to a fatal house fire where a guy was cleaning car parts with gasoline. Might have not been so bad had he not gone indoors due to the cold and placed the gasoline container on the fireplace hearth...

I frequently say I made a comfortable living as a firefighter medic responding to take care of "I thought it would be a good idea" 911 calls.

Gregg
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Last time I set the burn pile on fire, I had a disturbing moment. The winds increased pretty dramatically after I lit the fire, and after a while, I noticed the grass was burning on the leeward side. I guess it burned for about 8 feet. I got a bucket and wet it down, and it stopped. I don't think the rest of the pasture was in any danger. I believe the grass near the pile was dryer than the rest, and it was also catching a lot of radiant heat. Still...I pictured myself trying to put out a huge grass fire, using a bucket and golf cart.

Since the storm, the county has decided to collect all the wood people can pile next to county roads. Two big oaks fell across the road leading to the most viable gate for wood dumping, so I have been using my new tools to get them out of the way. Today I moved the last piece that blocked the way. Pretty satisfying.

I'm getting a lot better at cutting leaning and horizontal trees. My life changed when I learned about bore cutting. Also, I'm making good use of wedges, a timberjack, and a pole saw.
Attachments
10 20 17 road to south gate cleared 01 small.jpg
10 20 17 road to south gate cleared 02 small.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
stevec

Post by stevec »

"bore cutting" whazzzat?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You control the way a tree breaks by pushing the saw straight through the middle, leaving a thin "strap" of material on the tension side.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

road flares are also a good way to start a big pile going....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

My new thing is diesel and a plumber's torch.
spro

Post by spro »

Anyway, it was good to see some videos of the bore cutting.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:My new thing is diesel and a plumber's torch.
That's about as safe as you can get.
I've often used dirty solvent, too, when conditions are not great and I must burn. It's quite damp here, a couple months during the summer being the sole exception.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.