Set Myself on Fire Lolz

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: Set Myself on Fire Lolz

Post by tornitore45 »

I set the burn pile on fire just today, approximately 1 cubic meter (like 27 cubic feet) . Arranged heavy stuff around a central hole. One newspaper cut in strips laid fluffy in the hole. Sticks and tinder on top. Two matches.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
TomB

Post by TomB »

Early this afternoon I restarted yesterdays burn pile without any accelerator. The logger was here and he used the skidder to pull out the last three or four big logs and then he used the blade to push a lot of small branches into the fire. I have had a burn pile going for 4 or 5 days out of the last 8. In general we don't pile everything then burn it and instead get the fire going and while it burns we keep throwing branches and logs onto it. I suspect that if we had piled it first we would have had a pile 70 feet long, 15 feet wide and 8 foot deep, but I don't think it would burn the green branches we were clearing. By keeping the fire in a 8 or 10 foot round area and then throwing logs and branches onto it the fire develops a very hot center that can dry out and ignite green needles and branches. It is hot enough that today I felt my eyes burning even though I had not gotten closer than about 5 feet. As such I was able to load brush into the fire for only a few of hours. But I do find that each day we are burning I work fewer hours. I just get more tired more quickly.

I will be glad when this task is done. This effort has several objectives, one of which is the restoration of my old tennis court. With these trees all overhanging the court it was impossible to keep the pine needles cleared. Evergreens loose needles just like regular trees lose leaves but they do it continuously while simultaneously growing new needles. Now I can clean then up once and for all. The next parts of the restoration, replacing rotten poles and top and bottom horizontals can be done in small steps that will not overly tire and old man.

And as for my earlier comment on my logger using gasoline on the burn piles I saw him do it several more times in the past week. The commenter that said this was like an air bomb was spot on. When a couple of gallons of gasoline instantly ignites the "whoom" shakes the ground. This morning when I related to him a synopsis of the forum comments his reply was "You have to make sure there is a complete break in the thrown liquid before it ignites."

Tom
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:
Harold_V wrote:One may not have to "come back to light it". Just create a spark. That's the problem with gasoline---the fumes evolve and travel quickly and readily ignite. You don't get that with Stoddard solvent and oils.
Harold, please. An expert is talking here. If people want to set themselves on fire correctly, they should leave nothing to chance.
Pretty hard to argue with that! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

TomB wrote:And as for my earlier comment on my logger using gasoline on the burn piles I saw him do it several more times in the past week. The commenter that said this was like an air bomb was spot on. When a couple of gallons of gasoline instantly ignites the "whoom" shakes the ground. This morning when I related to him a synopsis of the forum comments his reply was "You have to make sure there is a complete break in the thrown liquid before it ignites."
And there's the problem. What happens to the poor schnook who fails, and then finds him/her self on fire? Seems like an invitation to death, or life in agony and regret. Easier to just not use gasoline.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Tom writes:
> And as for my earlier comment on my logger using gasoline on the burn piles I saw him do it several more times in the past week. The commenter
> that said this was like an air bomb was spot on. When a couple of gallons of gasoline instantly ignites the "whoom" shakes the ground. This morning
> when I related to him a synopsis of the forum comments his reply was "You have to make sure there is a complete break in the thrown liquid before it
> ignites."

I wouldn't let him do it on my land. I'd have to listen to him scream until the EMTs got here.
spro

Post by spro »

You would douse him because you don't want the screams. This gets back to preparation of the burn zones. Stuff gets out of hand quickly if the surrounding grass/trees are dry. Everyone knows this but if the wind is unsteady or picks up embers, a fire can start many yards away. Controlled burns have water and extinguishers nearby. I don't trust a smoldering ex fire any more than gasoline.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote:I don't trust a smoldering ex fire any more than gasoline.
And you shouldn't. I've restarted burn piles a day after they were "out", by simply stirring and adding more fuel (and I don't mean an accelerant). As has already been mentioned, the core of such fires is very hot---and heat is retained by the resulting ashes.

A comment on burning green material. Here in Western Washington there grows what is commonly called a vine maple. More of a bush than a tree (trees, here, easily top 125' in height), if you get my drift. It need not be dry to burn----it burns with gusto, with green leaves igniting as if they contain oil.

H
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Just burned this morning. I accumulate a lots of dead wood, and also, when there is no more room in our garbage cans I burn, usually once a month.

I use a MAPP torch to lite it off, and then sit at a comfortable distance.

I'm burning up against a future RR right-of-way, been doing that for years.

The poor Catalpa to the north can't move away, so it's leaves may drop, but it will be Fall shortly and they will be gone anyway.
DSCN8318.JPG
DSCN8323.JPG
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

spro writes:
> You would douse him because you don't want the screams.

If I doused him enough to stop the screams he'd drown. Flaming gasoline on clothing does its damage fast. No, a logger that careless doesn't get to work on my land. Think what other stupidities he might engage in.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I added a whole lot of wood to the burn pile today, but I did not set fire to myself. The burn is tomorrow. Instead of burning, I hit myself in the face with a tree trunk.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

If You fish those Catapala worms make excellent bait.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Instead of burning, I hit myself in the face with a tree trunk.
Everybody needs a hobby! :P

H