Finally Got to Shoot on my Own Land

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Finally Got to Shoot on my Own Land

Post by SteveHGraham »

That's not a problem. Just become a criminal. Criminals are allowed to have any weapons they like, and they can carry them everywhere.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

So that Echo 266 is working well for you? Good. Yeh man a good pruning or lopper is a piece of good work and as you said, far enough away. I suppose "widow makers" should be mentioned again. Many of us knew at least somebody, some guy or uncle or co-worker ... They cleared land after work and got back to it later. One thing cut and a heavy section falls from a suspended crotch. It all changes relatively quickly so you have to scan the situation as it has become.
The great thing is to accomplish this in near absolute solitude. It doesn't matter if your butt crack is exposed for a second or need to fiddle with the saw or pee. On the other hand, the trees are waiting for you.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Here I was setting in my nice shop, finally more or less stable, on my nice 1+ acre "horse property" (actually zoned "agricultural" so we can have chickens, pigs, even cattle as long as numbers are appropriate for the size lot) on the edge of town, bought in the depression for pennies on the dollar (roughly 30 to be exact, so should that be "dimes on the dollar"?) as a hedge toward retirement funding. Now I'm really jonesing for another spread spread like I started with. I had just over 26 acres of rolling hills and old growth hardwoods in N AL. 2 creeks entered on the N side, and combined, then exited as one more substantial creek to the S. Beyond the creek, it began to flatten out such that about 5 acres was nice pasture or garden land of dark loam land. Damn I miss that place. But it's rose colored memory glasses. Nearest grocery of any size at all was 30 minutes S. Hospital, 45 minutes if you didn't mind ignoring speed limits and the 5 or so lights. Nearest parts house other than an over priced poorly run country store was almost 60 minutes away. And let's see. There were the infrequent ice storms that took out power, and we were so far out in sparse rural town, it sometimes took 5 or more days to get it back on. And the runs on grocery stores if the weather even mentioned "slight chance of snow flurries". Oh, and let's not forget the massive thunderstorms, and excitement of a dozen or so tornado events each year. So there are tradeoffs.

Nearest neighbor was maybe 4 miles away. He owned several hundred acres (maybe more) and my place sat right on the corner of his spread. Always trying to buy it, then I got a good job offer across the country, and he finally got it. I don't want to move back to the SE, the desert SW suites me quite well in general. But I miss the open rural areas, particularly when someone rubs my nose in it...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

yes.
spro

Post by spro »

I deleted a lot of stuff which pertains to forests and firearms and trees. It included helicopters and phase shifting of the blades' sounds and when incoming fire from AK 47s came in.. Chit Tow, Chit Tow, Chit chit chit chic tow tow tow T... I made a mess of this post too.
However: In our relative peace, it is a shame to be taken out by a tree.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The big oak has been defeated and humiliated. I cut as much junk off the top end as I could, and then I cut through the base. I put a strap on it and yanked it until it came loose from the maple that was holding it up. It's a shame a worthless oak messed up a nice maple.

I don't know the model number of the pole saw. It has a 12" bar. What a difference it made. A regular chainsaw doesn't compare.

Now I have to start putting wood by the county road so they will haul it for nothing. There's a problem, though. My property has a ditch beside the road, so moving wood down the ditch with the front end loader means driving with the tractor tilted. I keep the loader low, but it still gives me the willies. I don't know how much lean it can take. I've heard 20 degrees cited as a safe figure. I don't have a way to measure the lean. Guess I can rig something up.
Attachments
09 28 17 tractor after pulling big oak away from chicken house small.jpg
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Instead of piling the wood up by the road , why not stack a good bit of it up neatly somewhere out of the way and save it for the soon to be inevitable weenie roasts and other occasions where you might want to have a fire .

Considering how fast your transforming from being a city slicker it won't be long untill your drinking "Busch" beer out by the bonfire and hollering for someone to hold your beer and " watch this "
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have so much wood I will never catch up with it. This farm has a burn pile that fills up over and over.

If you see me drinking Busch, please kill me.
spro

Post by spro »

Too much Busch Ice will do that. I think the deck, lifted up, allows some counter balance. Your rear axles can take the weight, not so much the front ones. People use the 3-point that way and the weight locked low so not stress the hydraulics at both ends.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

We have land rented to a Christmas tree farmer. He was asking me who was shooting into the trees? No one that I knew but he did explain that lead can kill a tree and to put the word out not to be shooting trees. So take care in shooting into the woods.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't shoot trees. God has blessed me with a berm.