Mystery Shingle Structure Under my Yard

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Mystery Shingle Structure Under my Yard

Post by SteveHGraham »

The new place is fantastic, but the previous owners failed in one major regard. They were bad landscapers. I am trying to redo the yard.

As part of my plan, I got some berry bushes. I was going to plant one in a bed by the workshop. The bed was already there. It was covered with one-inch gravel and surrounded by interlocking fake flagstone things.

When I moved the gravel in order to dig into the dirt and mix Milorganite into it, I found a layer of shingles just under the soil. It's like the seller or the builder wanted to keep something covered up.

The bed is very close to the place where the underground power and phone wires go into the shop.

Does anyone here know of a reason why a builder would put a layer of shingles under the ground just outside of a detached garage? I am tempted to rip it up and find out what's down there. It seems weird to created a flower for no reason.

By the way, props to the public works people in Milwaukee for finding a way to make other people pay for their poop.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Re: Mystery Shingle Structure Under my Yard

Post by John Evans »

Possibility as a warning to go slow if you dig there. A lot of utility trenches have a thin layer of concrete a bit above whatever is there as a warning when digging . Your wires may be right under the shingles ie close to the surface .
www.chaski.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The shingles may be there to keep weeds from growing up through the gravel.

It was fairly common to use tar paper to do the same.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Any missing persons cold cases in your area ?
:wink:
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was thinking they might have buried a pet down there. If so, Fluffy is about to take a ride to the dump.
spro

Post by spro »

Turn off your mains and go for it. If you see bones, call in the cadaver dogs. This would be a way to conceal something more than Fluffy. There are so many missing in Florida. I wouldn't suggest planting any bush close to your structure. It may look good for a while but roots go right in to the structure. The fact that somebody planted a bush directly over those planks and shingles means something.
It is either to make the space pretty or it was hiding something. Drainage is one thing, power lines another but neither wants an invasive bush and those vines.
So, I would tell you that you are crazy to dig, investigate deeper..then again, I would probably do the same. once.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I guess it has something to do with the wires. I don't know why they put an empty flowerbed full of gravel over it, essentially daring me to plant a raspberry bush there, but that's what they did.

I have to find a new place for the bush, and it looks like I also have to get some mole traps. I have never had to deal with moles before. I should rent Caddyshack to get some pointers.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I lived in Oregon....and we had all too many moles....and gophers.
I found out they don't like weed & feed.

Here....we have only gophers. Traps, poisons....don't get 'em too often. They were even coming up in the driveway and the road in here.
The Gopher gasser does the trick. Should have done it in Oregon to the moles.
Got 18 this year....one try each.
Barn cats will get 'em too...if you don't feed 'em too much.
Binford 8100 Gopher Gasser.jpg
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The gas idea is appealing, but I have to wonder if it will cover a big maze of tunnels.

Here is a bad photo of the flowerbed. The dark area is a flat shingle.

I can't find the rocks that go around the bed. They're some kind of molded ceramic. Three fake rocks in one piece. One end convex, the other concave. Really convenient for separating beds from grass, but I can't figure out where the seller bought them.
Attachments
12 03 17 shingles under flower bed by shop small.jpg
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I finally found the fake rocks. They're called "edging."
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A female friend of mine is begging me not to get mole traps. I should have kept quiet about them. She is claiming I should use bait or some kind of "As Seen on TV" electronic stakes that give off mole-repelling waves. I don't trust hippie remedies.

It has been a good day. I dug up my rosebushes and put them on the burn pile. I replaced them with blueberries, which I can eat. I planted my second raspberry bush. Next I have to kill my sick citrus trees and put something in their place.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

If you don't want to do the lawnmower and rubber hose trick . Take a look around for a chimnex fire suppressant stick .
They are for putting out chimney fires , they look and light just like a road flare .